• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

87 Harness !!

Kuwait Fox Body

Mustang Enthusiast From Kuwait
Hello guys

I have a 87 GT with swapped Transmission swapped from Auto to Manual.

After buying the car i had an issue with starter and flywheel so i needed to replace them. When we got the transmission out i noticed that the tail housing tag is deferent than the main housing. additionally i noticed that the natural gear switch is detached also there was one wire which was taped I think it had a switch before it been removed. o_O

after starting the starting the vehicle there was a problem with the speedometer which wasn't working at all. so i thing so ether the speed sensor isn't working or the speedometer gear is broken

so now i'm buying 1987-93 MUSTANG MANUAL TRANSMISSION HARNESS 5.0
but not sure how to chose the proper speedometer gear :rolleyes:

if any one have the wiring digram for the transmission it could help me and any more information since thats my firs foxbody to work with :bag:

and i will keep you up to date

thnks 2409241024112412

broncojunkie

Someone used a later model t5 from a v6 mustang. They're the better t5's, for the most part. I don't believe they had the neutral switch on them, which is why yours isn't connected. It could be a 94-98 v6 t5 or a 99-04. I'm guessing 99-04, since someone swapped the tailshaft housing... probably to an earlier model to accommodate the mechanical speedo. The 99-04 used an electronic speedo and had a different tailshaft housing. You can swap the older housing over, but you still have to find a way to attach the internal speedo "drive" gear (plastic gear that is slid onto the main shaft). I simply drill a hole about 3/16 deep, 1/8 wide like the older t5's had. I use a dremel and a diamond bit to grind through the hardened shaft. The plastic gear and retainer clip will slide on and snap together. I've heard of people cutting notches and even using rtv with a band clamp on each side to keep the gear in place.

If your speedo isn't working, look into the hole in the tail housing and see if the gear is there. If not, they may have just ditched the gear altogether or it came loose and slid out of place. This is just a theory, but I could do some snooping and probably figure it out, if it was in front of me.

Hope this helps!

broncojunkie

FWIW, the 94-98 v6 t5 is easier to swap if you want a working stock speedo, but the 99-04 is rated for a little more torque, which is why some people go through the hassle of modifying them for the mechanical gear.