• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

87 GT Wont Rev Past 2k

vBlox

Okay so I bought this car a little over a week ago not running and the owner said it needed a new fuel pump. Bought a new fuel pump slapped it in and bam it fired right up, killed the engine went to check oil, coolant, etc and when i went to fire it back up crank but no start. I replaced the spark plugs, coil, distributor cap & rotor, tfi module, fuel pump relay, tried another known working distributor, starter solenoid, and the pcm relay. The pcm relay was corroded really badly and when i slapped the new one in it started up. Now the problem I’m having is the engine is idling at 1k and will not rev past 2000 no matter how slow or fast i press the gas pedal. Timing does not seem to be the issue as I’m at TDC on the compression stroke and retarding/ advancing the timing does change how the car idles but it still wont rev past 2000. Any ideas? I also tried a code reader and paperclip method and none of them would produce me a code.
Edit: Uploaded a video

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Sounds like it's missing on several cylinders. I see you replaced a bunch of ignition parts. Were you not getting spark?

You will probably want to try and figure out if it's missing on particular cylinders or random. To do that, you can start it up and spray/drip water on each header tube or shoot with a temp gun, if you have one. To check spark for each cylinder, you can hook up a timing light and move it around to each plug wire. If each cylinder is getting spark and misfire seems random, start with checking fuel pressure. Of course, double check your firing order too. There are 2 different firing orders for the 302. The factory engine should be the HO/351w firing order, but it could have a different engine or cam in it.

Just a few ideas.

Last edited: