• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

87 gt mustang exhaust question

Sksimmortal

ok so ive been to about 6 muffler shops around here and im being told what i want done is impossible and im wondering what you fellow fox owners think. i have a 1987 gt mustang with bbk long tube headers and off road x pipe into 2 super 10 series mufflers. i want to run tail pipes from the mufflers but im being told that its impossible due to the fact that they are center in and center out. when i get over to my dads i will take pics of the exhaust with it on the lift. i think and almost know it can be done but i may be wrong so im just wondering what you guys think

Hoonigan

ok so ive been to about 6 muffler shops around here and im being told what i want done is impossible and im wondering what you fellow fox owners think. i have a 1987 gt mustang with bbk long tube headers and off road x pipe into 2 super 10 series mufflers. i want to run tail pipes from the mufflers but im being told that its impossible due to the fact that they are center in and center out. when i get over to my dads i will take pics of the exhaust with it on the lift. i think and almost know it can be done but i may be wrong so im just wondering what you guys think

You can but i wouldn't. It will probably sound like garbage since its a straight shot through. It's not built the same as an of set. I have a friend who has it done. It sounds like a wrx....

John2002

Sounds like alot of custom bending, most kits seem to be sold like oem style. My BBK shorties and X-pipe I got last year matched right up to the Flowmaster cat back system I got 3 years ago. Most often people just dump the tail pipe at the outlet of the muffler. Really loud if you ask me... I've driven a Musatng that had that set up....not something you want to be in everyday.... My mufflers are kinda wide and there wasn't much room left for side to side movement. With your cats gone there is very little back pressure at all so any aftermarket muffler will be much louder then normal...

Blown347

Staff member
It can be done they just have to bend them correctly. The GT tailpipes aren't even visible so it's not like it's a huge deal if they're at an angle in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Sounds like alot of custom bending, most kits seem to be sold like oem style. My BBK shorties and X-pipe I got last year matched right up to the Flowmaster cat back system I got 3 years ago. Most often people just dump the tail pipe at the outlet of the muffler. Really loud if you ask me... I've driven a Musatng that had that set up....not something you want to be in everyday.... My mufflers are kinda wide and there wasn't much room left for side to side movement. With your cats gone there is very little back pressure at all so any aftermarket muffler will be much louder then normal...

I'll say it all depends on the set up you have if it's loud or not. I have the Magnaflow cat's with X pipe and Borla cat back mufflers with turn downs before the rear axel and it's not loud at all .

John2002

My fault, I should of stated that it was a covertible with the top down that I test drove when we were looking to buy...It was parked beteween two other cars and it was very loud sitting in it before I pulled away. I couldn't get the car to go over 50 mph during the test drive and seemed to be in very poor running condition put stil it was very annoying to me.....

Last edited: