• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

87-89 Convertible "Sport Seats" No lean.

Are people interested in obtaining seats anymore?
What is the going rate for a set that does not have the "gangster lean".
I have a gray tweed set I am looking to sell.
Any offers or advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• Mustang seats (7).jpg
    Mustang seats (7).jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 7

broncojunkie

I sold a really nice set of them for $100 a few yrs ago. Now, it seems people are paying 3 times that, around here. They're getting hard to find.

Well apparently, I will be holding on to my current seat right now.
After tearing it apart, the mechanic said there was no hope, it is trashed.
Been repaired multiple times (I had no idea!).
Searching for other options, so the seat will probably be on hold for awhile.

broncojunkie

Sorry to hear that. They're usually a fairly easy fix, but I could see it being an issue if it has been repaired before. The good news is that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a ratty used one with a good frame. Or just hold out for a nice used one that's ready to bolt in. There are some nice aftermarket seats available, but I prefer the stock seats, myself. Most of the aftermarket ones are either ricey, racey, or expensive.

Another option would be a set from a newer sn95/new edge car. I believe the bolt pattern makes them a direct swap, although they may be a little tight, side-to-side. Also, you will need to figure out something for the rear seat, since the rear wouldn't swap over easily. You could always recover your rear seat to match the fronts, I guess.

Sorry to hear that. They're usually a fairly easy fix, but I could see it being an issue if it has been repaired before. The good news is that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a ratty used one with a good frame. Or just hold out for a nice used one that's ready to bolt in. There are some nice aftermarket seats available, but I prefer the stock seats, myself. Most of the aftermarket ones are either ricey, racey, or expensive.

Another option would be a set from a newer sn95/new edge car. I believe the bolt pattern makes them a direct swap, although they may be a little tight, side-to-side. Also, you will need to figure out something for the rear seat, since the rear wouldn't swap over easily. You could always recover your rear seat to match the fronts, I guess.
I want to keep it stock and finding them may prove very difficult. Mine is an 89. They only made the knee bolster in the years 87-89. My upholstery is good and I have found a good frame at a Mustang junkyard on the east coast. Going to talk to the guy on Monday to see if that is the best option.

broncojunkie

I want to keep it stock and finding them may prove very difficult. Mine is an 89. They only made the knee bolster in the years 87-89. My upholstery is good and I have found a good frame at a Mustang junkyard on the east coast. Going to talk to the guy on Monday to see if that is the best option.
Yep. I agree. The 87-89 should be what the mustang folks refer to as "tweed" seats. Not sure why, because they're not tweed lol. They have a light plaid pattern. I think you can buy upholstery kits for them, but the pattern is wrong. In fact, I don't think they have a pattern at all. I believe they are just solid grey, like the later 90-93 GT fabric. The 87-89 GT seats were nicer, imo.

Exactly. I spent a bunch reupholstering them about 15 years ago. The original seat is toast, he said he would "save" the upholstery and we
can put it on whatever replacement I get. They do call them tweed which is not a tweed at all, lol. They are a plaid, stripe like pattern with a thin red stripe too. But, I did not know that my seats were only made for 3 years and yes, they were the nicer seats with adjustable headrests too. Which is more of reason to find and get original put back in there. :cool:

Attachments

• thumbnail (6).jpg
    thumbnail (6).jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 3

broncojunkie

They're pretty nice seats with the adjustable bolsters and large headrests. They're similar in design to the Recaro's in my pace car (also optional for other models from 79-83, but standard equipment on the pace cars). I always presumed Ford borrowed the design from those seats.

Saw my seat yesterday, it looks great! The mechanic is holding onto it till the next round of repair.
I went ahead and paid him so we are square. It's ready to go. So I now have a set of seats out of a convertible
88. Only difference according to Prestige Mustang (where I got a replacement frame) is the seat belt bracket
on the side. If interested, shoot me an offer. Located in NV so shipping will be a lot if on the east coast.

Hubby putting it in right now as I type! Yesterday was my birthday so he promised to do some work
on my girl (saves us a few hundred). Can't wait! Now officially have for sale a set of 87-89 Convertible Sport
seats with adjustable head rests and knee bolster and inflatable lumbar. Make me a reasonable offer!