• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351w build help.

neliotapia

hello everyone i just picked up a 351w roller block from a 95 ford bronco i plan to put in my 83 mustang 5.0 its bare block right now , machined .030 over new cam bearings and freeze plugs and painted.
my plans are to keep it a street car nothing crazy maybe 350 hp or so i wont be boosting or spraying nitrous. i need help finding the right cam and other supporting mods to make this build. i plan to keep stock bottom end and keep it carbureted. i want it to be a simple build head cams and intake just don't know what good parts brand and parts that will fit to make the build work. i am new to the mustang foxbody and this 351w roller block. any information and part numbers help. thank you in advance.

broncojunkie

350hp should be easy with a decent set of aftermarket heads. For that power level, just take your pic. Personally, i like to stretch my budget. My 408w has a set of cnc Promaxx heads ($1500, but the non-cnc is less expensive). My 331 has Flotek heads. Under a grand and have performed great. Skip White heads are another one people have been happy with (assembled in Tennessee). All are cheaper heads but have good reviews. If you don't mind spending more, AFR, Trickflow, and Edelbrock are great. I wouldn't go any smaller than, say, 185 cc intake runner. For a mild street car, i wouldn't go over 200cc. The 351 has enough displacement to make use of the larger intake runners without losing too much on the low end. But typically above 200cc, and you're getting your power band up in the higher rpm range. That makes a sweet track car but a lazy street car. You have a similar situation with the intake. A dual plane will keep your power band where it needs to be. A taller single plain will move you into the higher rpm range. I'm using a Victor Jr on the wife's mild 351w. I had a TF Stage 1 already lying around, but i would suggest matching something up. Most cam manufacturers can help you over the phone if you give them your specs.

neliotapia

350hp should be easy with a decent set of aftermarket heads. For that power level, just take your pic. Personally, i like to stretch my budget. My 408w has a set of cnc Promaxx heads ($1500, but the non-cnc is less expensive). My 331 has Flotek heads. Under a grand and have performed great. Skip White heads are another one people have been happy with (assembled in Tennessee). All are cheaper heads but have good reviews. If you don't mind spending more, AFR, Trickflow, and Edelbrock are great. I wouldn't go any smaller than, say, 185 cc intake runner. For a mild street car, i wouldn't go over 200cc. The 351 has enough displacement to make use of the larger intake runners without losing too much on the low end. But typically above 200cc, and you're getting your power band up in the higher rpm range. That makes a sweet track car but a lazy street car. You have a similar situation with the intake. A dual plane will keep your power band where it needs to be. A taller single plain will move you into the higher rpm range. I'm using a Victor Jr on the wife's mild 351w. I had a TF Stage 1 already lying around, but i would suggest matching something up. Most cam manufacturers can help you over the phone if you give them your specs.
Tahnks
Thanks brotha very informative