• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

347 stroker with vortec

Diablofox

Hey i have a 347 stroker with vortec blower. I have mishimoto rad with a zirgo fan from summit. What are similar setups seeing for temps? I let car idle for maybe 15-20 minutes after putting new rad and fan on took it around the block and temps went as high as around 220 but no higher. Is that ok? I think i may need to replace thermostat.

broncojunkie

220 might be a little warm. Definitely try a thermostat first, since they're cheap and easy to replace. The radiator should be fine. I'm not familiar with the fan you have, but I've always worked on the assumption that most aftermarket fans aren't as good as oem style fans. Most people use the dual Contour fans. Personally, i like the simplicity of a single fan. The Chevy HHR fan fits very well and moves a lot of air. You can buy them on Rockauto for around $50, last i checked. I've used them on two foxes so far and they work well.

broncojunkie

Forgot to mention a couple things. You probably already know to check the push vs pull situation. Make sure it is wired correctly and fan is pulling air in the proper direction.

Also, I take it driving on highway (or non stop & go traffic), it runs cooler? If so, i would suspect the fan is the problem. If after changing the thermostat, it still runs 220 during highway driving, the fan probably isn't the problem. Start looking at your water pump for proper circulation.

Diablofox

Ok cool yea im changing out the thermostat to a 180 and will see if that helps any. I really feel like the rad/fan combo i have should be enough cooling for the car so hopefully its as simple as the thermostat. Thanks man!