• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3.73 gear whine and vibration over 65 MPH

89GT

Hello All- I recently purchased a low mile 89 GT in near perfect condition. The previous owner upgraded to 3.73 gears. It pretty much whines in every gear. Has anyone found a fix for this. It's really annoying. I'm thinking about going back to the original gears. I'm also wondering if the vibration at 65 MPH or higher is caused by the 3.73 gears as well. Any advice is the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

broncojunkie

They shouldn't whine like that unless they weren't set up correctly or you have a bearing going bad. I would suggest pulling the cover and having a look inside. Now, I have heard that some aftermarket gearsets will be a little noisy, but if it's enough to be annoying to you, there's probably something wrong.

Fwiw, the stock gears will be noisy too, if the installer doesn't know what he's doing. From what I've seen, most backyard mechanics just throw a set of gears in with the same shims and run it. Sometimes they get lucky and sometimes the diff eats itself for lunch.