• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2.3 litre won't start.

Hey gents,

I have spent almost 20 hours diagnosing and troubleshooting.. and I'm at my wit's end. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on my problem as I really have no direction right now and could use some help.. I've searched the forum here and am unable to find a solution..

The vehicle.. 2.3 litre '89 foxbody.

My troubleshooting so far:
- new cap/rotor
- new plugs
- checked for spark, spark OK
- checked for compression, compression OK
- checked for fuel, fuel pressure is 38lb at the fuel rail
- I have another 2.3 litre foxbody that I've swapped components from to check for component failure. So far I have swapped/checked the following:
- ECU
- coil
- ignition module
- ignition switch
- battery ground
- fuel tank shutoff switch
- engine control assembly (ECA)

Last year she was running great. I winterized her, and this spring/summer I'm unable to get her to start.

What I am finding peculiar is that when I check for spark, I am not pulling the plugs but using a spark check tool. Leaving the plugs in there, I am still smelling fuel. My thinking is that I shoudln't be smelling fuel, unless a plug were pulled so the fuel would be coming out of the combustion chamber via the plug hole.. but because the plugs are all in while checking for spark with the tool.. it leaves me wondering whether this might be an indication of a problem.. however I am unsure where to go from this point.

Would really appreciate any insight or ideas for things to check.. thanks guys! :)

-harleygord

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Hey gents,

I have spent almost 20 hours diagnosing and troubleshooting.. and I'm at my wit's end. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on my problem as I really have no direction right now and could use some help.. I've searched the forum here and am unable to find a solution..

The vehicle.. 2.3 litre '89 foxbody.

My troubleshooting so far:
- new cap/rotor
- new plugs
- checked for spark, spark OK
- checked for compression, compression OK
- checked for fuel, fuel pressure is 38lb at the fuel rail
- I have another 2.3 litre foxbody that I've swapped components from to check for component failure. So far I have swapped/checked the following:
- ECU
- coil
- ignition module
- ignition switch
- battery ground
- fuel tank shutoff switch
- engine control assembly (ECA)

Last year she was running great. I winterized her, and this spring/summer I'm unable to get her to start.

What I am finding peculiar is that when I check for spark, I am not pulling the plugs but using a spark check tool. Leaving the plugs in there, I am still smelling fuel. My thinking is that I shoudln't be smelling fuel, unless a plug were pulled so the fuel would be coming out of the combustion chamber via the plug hole.. but because the plugs are all in while checking for spark with the tool.. it leaves me wondering whether this might be an indication of a problem.. however I am unsure where to go from this point.

Would really appreciate any insight or ideas for things to check.. thanks guys! :)

-harleygord

Are you getting spark? I normally check it by removing a plug and seeing if it archs to ground..

Blown347

Staff member
Induction maybe? It seems you have all the bases covered except for air. Clean MAF, and I assume the TB is fine. That's odd though, hopefully someone has some better insight. Did you check TFI? That was my problem, the car would crank and seemingly be fine but the TFI was bad. Something worth checking maybe?

Hi there, thank you for the suggestions.

Its a canadian car so there is no MAF (very odd to me)

Next on the list is to check:
- egr
-map
-tps
-icv

TFI was swapped in from another car.. Fortunately I have a parts car to check all the parts against.

One other thing of mention was that prior to the winter, the car was idling high @1200rpm and my technician wasn't able to remedy it.

I will look at the crankshaft timing sensor as well. Thanks again for the help it is nice to have another few minds on this.. I'm certainly no expert!

Cheers

Hey guys,

So I swapped out a bunch of stuff, tps, icv, etc. No difference.

Tried quickstart, no effect

Noticed that there is a fuel smell coming out of the intake manifold (it is disconnected from air box at the moment) and subsequently observed that the intake manifold seems to be both pushing and sucking air.

The timing belt is old and needs to change so I am wondering if maybe it skipped a tooth.

Question.. If it did in fact skip a tooth would the vavles and pistons collide? I don't want to spend more time/money trying to get this car running if in fact the top end is messed up.

Any suggestions at ths point would be great this car is almost going to a wrecker lol

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
well when you figure it out hit me up...i also have a 89 coupe 4 banger auto...with no maf that i need to get started. aside from fixing the head gasket.

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
Check the timing...mine was way the hell off

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk