• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1992 Vert LX 5.0

GSWest

I live in Houston Texas and I have a 1992 LX 5.0. I'm here mainly to get advice on the build as trouble comes up. For example currently the car will not even attempt to turnover. I have replaced the battery, and I believe I have narrowed it down to the starter or starter solenoid. I have not checked my grounds yet, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

broncojunkie

Congratulations on the LX!

I take it this car has been sitting a while? If so, have you tried turning the engine over by hand? You'll need a 15/16 socket on a large ratchet or breaker bar.

When turning the key, do you get any clicking from under the hood? The ignition switch is a common issue on these cars. They're a cheap and easy fix, but can cause a lot of problems. A quick peak at the switch underneath the plastic trim on the steering column is usually all you need. The switch consists of a pot-metal side attached to a plastic piece. If the two halves look like they're separating, then it's bad.

GSWest

Yes, she has been down for almost a year. I have not tried turning it over by hand (didn’t realize you could do that). There is a single “tick” when I turn the key and all the accessories turn on.

347HO

Out of curiosity, why would removing spark plugs do anything but make it impossible to fire?
In some cases, people have snapped the head off the crank bolt while attempting to turn the crank using a breaker bar.

Using my engine as the example;

24 foot pounds to handcrank with no plugs.

Almost can't handcrank at all with spark plugs installed.

GSWest

In some cases, people have snapped the head off the crank bolt while attempting to turn the crank using a breaker bar.

Using my engine as the example;

24 foot pounds to handcrank with no plugs.

Almost can't handcrank at all with spark plugs installed.
Ah I see, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

GSWest

So I just ended up bringing her to the shop and turns out all it was, was the starter relay was bad. Total face palm moment when the mechanic told me that, but she is finally running. I'm so excited for it to stop raining so I can really go on a drive!

broncojunkie

Glad that's all it was! Seems like every time I have a starter relay go bad, it gets stuck in the closed position, so the starter won't stop until you unhook the battery. Hell hath no fury like a man fumbling to get a battery unhooked while his starter is getting shredded to bits lol!