• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1992 LX 5.0 transmission

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum and hope someone can give me some good advice. I have a 1992 LX 5.0 automatic, with 31,000 miles. Recently the AOD cable grommet went out. This caused overdrive to slip. I only drove the car about 5-10 miles before I was able to fix the problem. However, now it looks like a have transmission problems. The car drove ok for several miles, now either 3rd or 4th seems to be gone. I’m not sure which, as I babied the car back in the garage at 20 mph. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

D7EDF357-1443-42E8-B4B3-C1903E92D0AE.jpeg
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum and hope someone can give me some good advice. I have a 1992 LX 5.0 automatic, with 31,000 miles. Recently the AOD cable grommet went out. This caused overdrive to slip. I only drove the car about 5-10 miles before I was able to fix the problem. However, now it looks like a have transmission problems. The car drove ok for several miles, now either 3rd or 4th seems to be gone. I’m not sure which, as I babied the car back in the garage at 20 mph. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Jason Fuller

Hello everyone,
Mine did the same exact thing and I burned 3rd and 4th gear up quick. Mine is accually in the shop as we speak getting the tranny rebuild.... $2200 bucks..

broncojunkie

I believe I'd do a T5 swap before spending $2200 on a rebuild. That was a poor design, in my opinion. Something as simple as a cable adjustment shouldn't result in a trashed transmission that costs thousands to rebuild. You can find used aod's pretty cheap, but you never know what you're getting. You can buy a used pedal assembly and then find a T5 out of a v6 sn95. They're usually in good condition and haven't been beat on like the v8's. While at it, get the v6 bellhousing too. Buy an 11" clutch and flywheel/pressure plate for an f150. Buy a new clutch fork, cable, firewall adjuster, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. Good aftermarket shifter, too.

I believe I'd do a T5 swap before spending $2200 on a rebuild. That was a poor design, in my opinion. Something as simple as a cable adjustment shouldn't result in a trashed transmission that costs thousands to rebuild. You can find used aod's pretty cheap, but you never know what you're getting. You can buy a used pedal assembly and then find a T5 out of a v6 sn95. They're usually in good condition and haven't been beat on like the v8's. While at it, get the v6 bellhousing too. Buy an 11" clutch and flywheel/pressure plate for an f150. Buy a new clutch fork, cable, firewall adjuster, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. Good aftermarket shifter, too.
That thought has crossed my mind several times... as this is an all original car with low miles, I’m inclined to stay with the auto...appreciate the idea though!

Vernon Brown

I just inherited my recently passed fathers 93 , with the same issues and I am curious what other ford / lincoln/ mercury/ AOD transmissions will bolt up without modifications possibly a crown vic or others ???

broncojunkie

I just inherited my recently passed fathers 93 , with the same issues and I am curious what other ford / lincoln/ mercury/ AOD transmissions will bolt up without modifications possibly a crown vic or others ???
I don't know much about them, personally, but I see the mustang folks selling them pretty regularly. They tend to get pulled for t5 swaps. I wouldn't think you'd have an issue finding one from a mustang. I see them for around $200 and even then, they have trouble selling them. I believe my buddy ended up scrapping a good one last year because he couldn't sell it.