• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1990 GT vert stalling while driving

sps5592

I am sure this has been covered somewhere in this site however I cannot locate the thread. Please forgive me for asking this in a new thread. With that being said I have a 1990 GT vert automatic which I have rebuilt the original 302 and bored to 306 with a GT40 setup, 24 lb injectors, 70 mm intake and MAF tuned for setup. The engine has 200 miles on the build, and everything has been done professionally and is tight. I have all new parts to include fuel pump, new distributor, plugs wires etc.
Since the new build the car has been stalling while driving. The car stall during different time, hot or cold while driving but it will idle like a champ at 850 rpms. The car will also stall when it is on an incline to long. At first I thought it was a fuel issue however I have tested everything and I am getting just under 40lbs of fuel pressure. I am now at a loss. I have has this car since 2013 and all I want to do is drive it on Sundays, I am not looking for a hotrod. Just something dependable enough to go to the store and back or on a short trip.
I am tired of simply throwing money at this so if someone has any ideas please send it...thanks in advance for any help.

I had something similar happen when I owned an 88 GT Vert 5.0.
It was a 5-Speed which came in handy when the starter was going (lol).
Anyway, I would be driving along, and all of a sudden it would start choking, gasping and hacking away.
Meaning, it would want to stall out and I would keep pumping the gas and it would keep choking to the
point it would quit running. It was an intermittent thing. I would pull over and wait for about 5 to 10 minutes and
I would be on my way!
Come to find out, it was the "sock" in the fuel tank.

I don't remember if fuel level played a part in the situation, but I am sure it did.
Unfortunately, you would have to drop the tank to find out.
Also change the fuel filter!
This would also explain why your fuel pressure is fine, just a thought ;)

broncojunkie

I had something similar happen when I owned an 88 GT Vert 5.0.
It was a 5-Speed which came in handy when the starter was going (lol).
Anyway, I would be driving along, and all of a sudden it would start choking, gasping and hacking away.
Meaning, it would want to stall out and I would keep pumping the gas and it would keep choking to the
point it would quit running. It was an intermittent thing. I would pull over and wait for about 5 to 10 minutes and
I would be on my way!
Come to find out, it was the "sock" in the fuel tank.

I don't remember if fuel level played a part in the situation, but I am sure it did.
Unfortunately, you would have to drop the tank to find out.
Also change the fuel filter!
This would also explain why your fuel pressure is fine, just a thought ;)
I had the exact same thing happen on my 88gt! The sock would pick up dirt and rust from the tank. Shutting the car off for a few minutes would let the dirt fall back down to the bottom. As soon as the engine was running and fuel was sucking through the sock, it would start picking up gunk again. Luckily, new tanks are cheap and still available. In fact, I had a brand new one delivered yesterday. Unfortunately, the thing looks like it was used to beat someone half to death lol! Wife is picking up another one from the parts store tomorrow.