• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1986 GT Oil dip stick problem

Brulan1

I Just picked up a 86 GT and have owned many fox body mustangs since 1996. This is my 1st time with a problem like this. I replaced the oil the same day I picked up my baby and go to check it after adding 5 quarts. The dip stick was very stubborn to pull out but I managed to get it out. I go to put it back in and won’t go back in for anything. Has anyone had this problem before? Also, I noticed that the tube isn’t attached to the header like my other cars have been in the past. The car is completely stock with 77,800 miles on odometer. Also, I went for my 1st drive and was very tight and smooth except after about 12 miles my odometer and Speedo just stopped working out of the blue. I still need to get car inspected too. Today I scrapped off the tints. Please advise

broncojunkie

Can you see where the dipstick tube connects to the block? Maybe it's boogered up, broken, or slipped out? They're a pain to deal with due to the location. I've seen them break where they enter the block. You may just need to replace it.

As for the speedo/odometer, it would help to know if you have an automatic or manual.

Brulan1

Can you see where the dipstick tube connects to the block? Maybe it's boogered up, broken, or slipped out? They're a pain to deal with due to the location. I've seen them break where they enter the block. You may just need to replace it.

As for the speedo/odometer, it would help to know if you have an automatic or manual.
Thank you for the reply. I will have to check the dip stick but need to jack up the car in the front a bit. Is it a pain of the ass to replace without using an easy out? The dipstick doesn’t look like it is in the typical place. It’s a T5 manual transmission

broncojunkie

Dipstick should enter the block just above the oil pan on the driver's side... about midway between front and rear. It's a pain to get to from up top with the header in the way. A little easier to do from underneath, but harder to see from down there.

broncojunkie

The speedo cable enters the side of the tailshaft housing on the t5. It's held in with one bolt. It's possible it came loose and popped out. Just get under there and see if it looks like it's inserted all the way. The plastic speedo (driven) gear is held on to the end of the cable with a c-clip. Make sure the little plastic gear isn't chewed up. If everything looks good, then get a flashlight and try to look into the hole. You should see the plastic speedo drive gear that engages the smaller driven gear. If you can't see the plastic splined gear through the hole, then the retainer clip could have broken and the gear slipped out of position. If that's the case, the t5 will need to come out and tailshaft housing will need removed. It's a simple fix, other than removing the transmission.

If all that looks fine, then you'll need to pull the gauge cluster and see where the cable attaches to the rear of the gauge. If the problem is back there, it typically causes a bouncing speedo. I've never had one completely stop working due to an issue at the gauge cluster. I've heard of it happening though. In fact, I just read the other day where a guy's speedo gauge failed. I've just never had that happen personally. Good luck!