• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1986 GT Convertible Trim Color?

David Schultz

Hello, we are new to the Fox body cars. Can anyone tell me the color of the trim pieces on an Oxford White, GT, Convertible? They currently are very faded "light gray", including the head light buckets, wind shield trim, the hood cowl, side mirrors, and luggage rack components including the third brake light housing. Is there a specific color code for the 'Dark gray", that I currently believe to be correct. ( Not Black, but a Dark Gray?) Thanks

Last edited:

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
The '86’ GT Interior color choices included Charcoal, Sand Beige (carryovers from ‘85) and Canyon Red (new for ‘86). Standard interior GT features essentially remained the same from ‘85 with console, full instrumentation, articulated cloth sport seats, tilt wheel and dual visor mirrors. The reintroduction of leather seats as a option for the GT convertible in Charcoal or White was big news.

http://www.mustanggt.org/86gt.htm

David Schultz

What I am looking for is the color of the exterior trim? Window bezels, Headlamp Buckets, and the side Mirrors. Is there a specific paint colot to restore to factory look for these components.

rjonec

Go to NPD look for their slop gray underhood paint in their 64-73 catalog. It is a very close match.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=ca...=slop+underhood+grey+paint&parent=1&year=1970

As far as RAL color codes it falls between RAL 7015 and RAL7016. the 16 is a slight shade dark and the 15 is a shade too light. The biggest hurtle is matching the 85-86 GT hood decal. All the aftermarket ones are not even close to the original shade. I have a 28,000 mile orginal car. Garaged most of its life so it is a very good reference. Obviously there maybe some paint degradation over the years, but I had to do a paint touch up on the sail panel and the slop gray was a very good match. Hope that helps.

Aldocapecod

What I am looking for is the color of the exterior trim? Window bezels, Headlamp Buckets, and the side Mirrors. Is there a specific paint colot to restore to factory look for these components.
Hello, we are new to the Fox body cars. Can anyone tell me the color of the trim pieces on an Oxford White, GT, Convertible? They currently are very faded "light gray", including the head light buckets, wind shield trim, the hood cowl, side mirrors, and luggage rack components including the third brake light housing. Is there a specific color code for the 'Dark gray", that I currently believe to be correct. ( Not Black, but a Dark Gray?) Thanks
I know this is an older thread but wondering what paint you went with? Thanks