• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1985 GT exhaust

joshskfx400

Sorry this question has been asked as im new here. Looking to change the exhaust on my 85 GT and noticed its hard to find complete kits out there. Im looking to keep the stock headers they used that year motor is stock. What do you recommend for the rest x or h pipe cats or not and muffler. I appreciate any and all input. Thank you

broncojunkie

My memory is pretty fuzzy on this, but I believe the headers were different for 85 (and maybe 84? Can't remember which years). I'm not sure they even sti make the correct h/x pipes for them. Most people end up changing the headers and going with the later style midpipes.

In 79, these cars didn't even have dual exhaust. I used bbk shorty headers and offroad bbk h-pipe with no issues. The earlier cars needed a later style transmission "double hump" crossmember, as well... but I'm assuming that had already been updated for the 85.
If you are stuck on keeping your oem headers, a good alternative would be to purchase an h-pipe or x-pipe kit and have an exhaust shop make it for you. I've seen them on ebay but I'd say Summit or Jegs has them, too.