• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1985 5.0 CFI/EFI Hard Gas Pedal Issue

cobra9127

Hey guys, I have a recently purchased 85 5.0 LX with the CFI/EFI HO and AOD trans. The car has a weird gas pedal issue that I best can describe as it feel hard to push. essentially you can't ease into it like a normal car you have to apply more than average pressure to get it to break through then it surges forth. I have checked all the linkages, everything is moving freely, I soaked all the springs down with WD40 as well. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner, cleaned all the electrical connections with electrical cleaner and replaced them with dielectric grease in them. When I removed the TB it looked clean and the butterflies moved freely. The car only have 58k miles. at this point i suspect the TB's electrical and or vacuum components are junk but i don't know enough about this system to tell for sure. Any ideas on what else to try? the car has one code for evap which i assume is only hoses which are dry rotted.

Erkenbrand

When you say 'hard to push' are you referring to just the pedal? When you manipulate the throttle linkage from the engine bay are you experiencing the same issue? It sounds like you're saying the TB, and throttle components are free. Have you checked the throttle pedal pivot point? Maybe a kink or sharp bend in the cable?

And, what an annoying problem to have! I hope you figure it out.

cobra9127

I'm referring to the pedal feel. all the linkages are free and move smooth when its off including the pedal. only occurs with the car running