• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 Pace Car Baffled During Tear Down

first mustang

Hello out there. I'd post pics but each time I try site say Oops something went wrong. Any who, A year ago I bought a 1979 Pace Car 8 miles away, not been on the road
since 1988. This car is rough but doable. Here's what is baffling. When I removed the rear hatch side back panels, on the drivers side behind that panel was what it looks like a overflow bottle with liquid in it. Has wires attached to it and a spout. I really don't know what it is and what it is for. And on both side there is a fairly large plug in that aren't hooked up to anything as well. I wish I could add pics but can not for some reason. Anyone's thoughts would be aprreciated.

81Notch

The pics have to be reduced in size before the site will upload them. What I do is transfer from my phone to my desktop and then open them up and reduce the size down to about 700kb and that is usually fine.

broncojunkie

What I do to resize from my phone is take a screenshot of the pic and then crop out what I don't want (usually just the edge of my phone screen).

The bottle you're referring to is probably for washer fluid. Although somewhat rare, a rear wiper was an option on these cars. I presume they came with a spray feature, as well. Maybe your rear hatch was replaced at some point with a non-wiper model, which would have been more readily available.

first mustang

Thanks for responses. This car has set since 1988 and still has the dealer badge on the trunk deck so I'd say doubtful, but possible. I'm downloading some pics for this thread, anyone's input is appreciated. PS PS There are these two large plug ins on both side under the rear side panels as well that plugged into something????? Have zero clue on what those are as well. IMG_20240211_104318834.jpgIMG_20240211_104315599.jpgIMG_20240211_104327021_HDR.jpg

first mustang

Come to find out very few Mustang Pace Cars did come with a rear hatch window wiper. However, like I said I doubt mine has ever been tore apart so doubtful the hatch has been replaced looking at the original faded stripes etc. Could factory have just stuffed one in the driver side rear quarter behind the interior panel thinking the car was gonna be a rear window wiper car?????? That's pure guess.

pappapk

I am working on a 79 2.3l turbo pace car. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for that car?

first mustang

New update. There is a factory hole right between the hatch weather strip and driver rear quarter in the rain channel for the washer bottle tube could be filled. So obviously on the factory assembly line it was equipped. The $100,000 question is, was my Pace Car equipped with the washer bottle, but they realized on the assembly line that it wasn't supposed to have a rear wiper and so just left it like that OR did someone at some point change out the hatch lid. Not being registered since 1988 and looking at the paint and striping it looks original to me. I most likely at some point get a Marti report, that probably will say. But it's a good conversation piece if it's a factory mistake.

R K Waters

Hello out there. I'd post pics but each time I try site say Oops something went wrong. Any who, A year ago I bought a 1979 Pace Car 8 miles away, not been on the road
since 1988. This car is rough but doable. Here's what is baffling. When I removed the rear hatch side back panels, on the drivers side behind that panel was what it looks like a overflow bottle with liquid in it. Has wires attached to it and a spout. I really don't know what it is and what it is for. And on both side there is a fairly large plug in that aren't hooked up to anything as well. I wish I could add pics but can not for some reason. Anyone's thoughts would be aprreciated.
Rear window washer/wiper.