• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 Mercury Zephyr z7 Coupe 5.0

Mitchymoo

Hi all,
I want to start off by saying, although I don’t own a Fox Body Mustang, I do own a 79’ Mercury Zephyr z7 Coupe 5.0; if I recall, the Zephyr and the Maverick were one of the first vehicles to get the Fox platform chassis, consequently, I decided to go with this forum for that reason. With that being said, I also don’t think there are too many Mercury forums out there.

My journey started not too long ago when one day I decided to go out and buy an older car with my Step Dad that I could mod enough to satisfy the little kid in me. I’ve always appreciated the classic cars and it’s always been a strong bonding point between me and my Step Dad.

I have already put a lot of hours, work and money into my Zephyr but, I am always continuing to upgrade it. I decided to join a forum in order to get the best advice as possible on what I should and shouldn’t do as I am not super knowledgeable on the minuscule details that could make or break a build.

Currently I am starting to look into engine mods for my factory 302 now that the weather here in Canada is getting nicer and my rear end is done. I know a decent amount of information about the older cars from research, mechanic friends and my Step Dad but I’ve always found forums are the best way to get a multiplicity of opinions, therefore, giving just general people and Fox Body enthusiasts some ideas to play around with or what works best with what.

Honestly, forums are hit or miss for me in reality as everyone is going to have a different outlook, view or opinion on something, thus, creating havoc in the threads. So, I hope this thread is more so based on knowledge, experience, learning from mistakes, why something works better than other things and the freedom of opinions and different view points.

Lastly, I hope I’m welcome here even though I don’t have a true Fox Body Mustang and technically just have the Fox Platform.

Hoping for all the help I can get!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• C3E56037-E7B3-45B6-8FEA-4FB718949DE2.jpeg
    C3E56037-E7B3-45B6-8FEA-4FB718949DE2.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 4
  • AE2BAF08-189F-4AED-A504-E640D61F340D.jpeg
    AE2BAF08-189F-4AED-A504-E640D61F340D.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 174CFFED-993E-4B25-8C6A-DA2B190B5DA0.jpeg
    174CFFED-993E-4B25-8C6A-DA2B190B5DA0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

broncojunkie

Very nice Zephyr! The Fairmont is the Ford version you were thinking of. They're very cool cars and share a lot with the mustangs. Of course, body panels, wheelbase, other things are different but you can definitely tell the similarities when you sit down in one.

Straight6fan on YouTube did a good series on one of fairmonts. You might check it out!