• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

15 inch tire availability

Spaznaut

I have the 10 hole rims on my '88 lx. I like the rims okay and don't wanna go through the cost of new rims atm. Is there a 50 or 40 series tire that is just a good street tire available? I checked Mickey Thomsons site and didn't find any I really liked. I also have some steel wheel in 15" that are 8" front and 10" rear. Am I going to have to goto a Cobra R type 17" to find any tires? I'd rather UG to 5 lug before I do that. Not sure if I'm going to keep it too long so hate to put any decent money in it atm. Already gotta UG the cooling fan and hood if I sell it.

broncojunkie

I absolutely love the 10-hole wheels. Probably my favorite factory wheel of all time. The factory size should be 225/60, which work great and look good in my opinion. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options. The good news is that the cheapest option I'm aware of is a great tire (at least, they were for me). It's the Ohtsu tire. I think they're made by Falken. They're a fairly soft, grippy tire so they may not have a long life, but they were perfect on my 88gt.

You can go up in size to, iirc, a 235/60 in the Cooper Cobras. They fit ok and look a little better than the Ohtsu, but seem to be a little harder. They'll probably have a longer life, but slightly less traction. I've talked to a guy who used them on the drag strip. He said they do ok, but really need to be heated up or they didn't hook at all.

Those are the two options I'm familiar with. Hope that helps. I still have my build thread on the 88gt here on the forum, if you want to check it out. I think there are pics of the tires I mentioned. I gave the car to a friend but he's still driving on the Coopers a couple years later. The rears are showing some wear lol

broncojunkie

I went with 17" wheels on my pace car out of necessity, because I upgraded the front brakes to the larger sn95 rotors/calipers. To be honest, I regret it. They look ok, but take away from the factory look and now I can't fit my 15" skinnies without running spacers. The braking is good, but probably not much better than a good set of hawk pads with the smaller rotors. Upgrading the brake booster and lines was a pain. Also, I can't go with the TRX style wheels that LMR started reproducing.

On the other hand, there are more options in 17" tires. I went with Federal tires which were pretty cheap and perform great. I like the look, as well.

broncojunkie

17" 10th anniversary wheels with Federal tires. I'd have to double check the size. I think I went with staggered sizes, which I wouldn't recommend lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-102147_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-102147_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2