• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Best accessory I have

Sawmill

Old and tired
I bought a double 12V outlet with a digital volt meter built in. Was out running errands when I noticed only 11.6 volts with the engine running. Went directly home to the barn and swapped the regulator; no fix. Installed spare alternator and we are back on the road again. Without the meter I would not have spotted the trouble until i got to town and it wouldn't start.

broncojunkie

That does sound handy. Speaking of handy accessories, I have been meaning to try a radiator cap with a built in temp gauge. I figure that would come in handy while working on cooling issues.

Sawmill

Old and tired
I restored an 8N that I got cheap because it had overheating issues.
I removed the core plugs and found the water jacket was all silted up.
I took the block out and aimed 2200 psi washer in through one of the openings; cleaned it right out. Wish I had thought to wear a raincoat though. Messy

broncojunkie

I guess the best accessory I've done has been the electric fan. It freed up horsepower and I can turn it on and off when needed.
I've done the e-fan swap a few times, but it was always with other mods. Not sure how much more power I gained with it. One exception was my old 92 f150. With the little 302 and 33" tires, it was lacking power. I did the 3g swap and e-fan due to an upgraded sound system and chasing overheating issues (I replaced everything). It cooled great after that, but I didn't notice any hp gains at all. The f150 forum guys all swore they could tell a difference, but I really couldn't at all.

All my foxes either have or will have e-fans, aluminum 3-row radiators, and 3g alternators. No exceptions lol