• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

91 5.0 dying issue?!

easybake323

New to mustangs!! Have a 91 5.0 it will start and run for like 2 seconds then just cuts off. It has no issues starting it seems like it’s not getting fuel? Again it starts and runs for like 2-3 seconds then instantly cuts off doesn’t really sputter or anything giving it gas doesn’t seems to help. Any ideas where to start??

347HO

Diag this like any gas engine...

Check for spark
Check for fuel
Check grounds
Check for <11vdc

More than likely, the fuel pump is not running, so check the "fuel pump accelerometer" for connection and power as well as the fuel pump.

Good luck

easybake323

Diag this like any gas engine...

Check for spark
Check for fuel
Check grounds
Check for <11vdc

More than likely, the fuel pump is not running, so check the "fuel pump accelerometer" for connection and power as well as the fuel pump.

Good luck
So I reset the inertia switch and it ran perfect and we shut it off and went to start it back up to drive it and it started doing it again. Do those switches go bad ?

347HO

Yes.
But it is not a common malfunction, unless it has been hit. In my experience, the 2 each, I have replaced... Both were in a rear end collision.

Nice diag!!!
Glad you figured it out!

easybake323

Yes.
But it is not a common malfunction, unless it has been hit. In my experience, the 2 each, I have replaced... Both were in a rear end collision.

Nice diag!!!
Glad you figured it out!
We live in New Orleans he said he hit a killer pot hole.