• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Getting My 2nd Mustang What Preventative Measures to do? 1989 GT!

ftrv8

Hello all,

Getting my second 5.0 (had a 94 GT way back). This one is a 1989 GT with 24k miles. Yes, I paid a decent amount for it, but I wanted an unmolested one.

Full tuneup and fluid changes are in order as soon as the carrier drops her off.

What else should I do as preventative measure for a car over thirty years old?

TIA

Bobby IMG_6816.JPG

broncojunkie

Congratulations! Very nice car! Hard to find an unmolested fox these days.

For starters, you want to inspect the front frame rails/shock towers for rust. If they look ok, you might consider cleaning them up inside the frame rail and adding some rust prevention spray, oil, or cavity wax to be safe. Same for the inner doors (they like to rust at the door bottoms) and lip of the rear hatch.

If you have a factory sunroof, clean out the 4 drain tubes. Another problem area that can cause devastating rust.

You should also check the alternator wiring. A 3g alternator upgrade is the best fix, but at the very least, check the flat blade plug and the two black/orange wires that go to the starter relay. Failure of these can lead to a fire.

This is just an "asap" list that you don't want to put off.

Good luck! Any plans for it?

broncojunkie

Oh...I forgot a couple! The starter switch and headlight switch. If they are iffy at all, change them out. It's good insurance.

ftrv8

Congratulations! Very nice car! Hard to find an unmolested fox these days.

For starters, you want to inspect the front frame rails/shock towers for rust. If they look ok, you might consider cleaning them up inside the frame rail and adding some rust prevention spray, oil, or cavity wax to be safe. Same for the inner doors (they like to rust at the door bottoms) and lip of the rear hatch.

If you have a factory sunroof, clean out the 4 drain tubes. Another problem area that can cause devastating rust.

You should also check the alternator wiring. A 3g alternator upgrade is the best fix, but at the very least, check the flat blade plug and the two black/orange wires that go to the starter relay. Failure of these can lead to a fire.

This is just an "asap" list that you don't want to put off.

Good luck! Any plans for it?
Just upgraded to the PA Performance 130amp. The stock wiring is in great shape, but upgraded regardless. Doing the dual cup holder mod and MGW shifter for now.

Erkenbrand

For a bit of a stretch goal, check out the wheel bearings, and at least repack them. I'd also recommend bleeding the brakes and getting in some fresh fluid. If you have it in the air just check out all of the rubber - brake hoses; body mounts; boots; etc. It gets old and dried out and falls apart.