• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pace Car

Indy Pace Car Guy

Hello everyone. I'll give you a look back to the late 70's. I was 2 years out of High School and had a good job when the King Cobra Mustang II came out. I was in love. I bought a Red one and just loved it. Then in 1979 the Fox was born. At first I thought Ford had ruined the Mustang. Then I saw an ad for the Pace Car!!! OMG I had to have one. I was at my Ford Dealership the next day and ordered one. I was going to trade my King Cobra in on it. But when the Pace Car arrived at the dealership I had just gotten a raise so I bought it outright. I loved my two unique Mustangs and was the envy of all my friends. Fast forward about 3 years and I wanted to open my own business and needed cash. It broke my heart but I had to sell my little ponies. Fast forward a whole bunch more years, my kids are all grown up and out of the house and I'm in the middle of a middle age crisis. I still miss my Mustangs all theses years later. So I start searching. I found a red King Cobra in not so great shape but bought it anyway. It's in the process of a full Pro Mod restoration now. But that's not a Fox so I won't go into details on that one. I also was able to find a near perfect Pace Car survivor with only 26K original miles. I actually bought it 17 years ago and put in in storage in a climate controlled garage where it has been until last week. I decided I'm not getting any younger and I want to enjoy taking it to local shows and getting groceries. So I pulled it out rebuilt the carb, installed a new gas tank and she fired right up. Still will be doing a tune up changing the oil and checking all systems but I am so excited to be able to drive her again. She is completely stock and in close to a 8 or 9 in condition. Even the seats with the Hearing Bone cloth are near perfect. So I have joined the forum. I wanted to get input from other Fox enthusiasts and to show off my special little girl. My first question to you guys is if I should just leave her totally stock or are there some minor mods that you think I can or could do without diminishing it's originality or value. I do want to add a rear window louver but can't find an original aluminum one. Can only find the ABS Plastic ones which I don't want. Also I do have the original set of TRX wheels and I found out that Cocker bought Michellins molds are are reproducing the 390 size tires so that is something I defiantly want to do. Thanks guys and hope to get a few thoughts and ideas from you all.

Attachments

• IMG_6886 (3).JPG
    IMG_6886 (3).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

broncojunkie

Nice car! I have a pace car, as well (and another fixer-upper on the way). Mine is far from stock, but I didn't alter the look much at all. When i got it, the 4 cyl turbo had been replaced with a n/a 4 cyl with a cracked block. I swapped in a 302 (stroked to 331 with forged internals), t5, and 8.8 rear.

Yours being all original, I would also suggest keeping it as close to original as possible. Do pay attention to the alternator wiring and ignition switch. They can be fire hazards.

Late Model Restoration is now remaking the TRX wheels in standard 16" rim size. Just stick the originals on a shelf and run these. You will be much happier.

If you wanted to do some discreet performance upgrades, you could always upgrade the cam and even add some early 351w heads. Interesting note.... the original track cars were fitted with early 351w heads. I doubt you could tell a difference without removing the valve covers. A nice 4-barrel carb will top it off nicely and could easily be switched back to the oem setup, if you need to.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Oh, and i forgot to mention another subtle upgrade that I love. You can buy headlight housings that look exactly like the original sealed-beam headlights, but they accept a regular or led bulb. I switched to these and nighttime driving went from dangerous to enjoyable. The difference is unreal!

Indy Pace Car Guy

I have a question. The emissions sticker is missing on my car. I ordered a new one from LMR for the 79 Mustang with the 302.. Does anyone know where the sticker is supposed to be located on the car? The only info I can find is on the solenoid cover. Solenoid cover??? I have never hear of a solenoid cover and mine certainty does not have a cover. What's up with this???

broncojunkie

LMR website says it goes on the radiator core support. I did a quick search and didn't find any good engine bay pics. I don't remember if my car had one or not.

broncojunkie

I just found this, but it's from a later efi car. I've found that a lot of info for these mustangs ignore the 79-86 models altogether. It really annoys me.

Screenshot_20210918-003121_Samsung Internet.jpg