• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Push rod help

Wayne86

Ok I'm back.
I'm almost ready to get engine back from machine shop.
Come to find out that engine was already bored 30 over and crank has been turned 10 thousands.
So block and is good to go.
I need some help to figure out how to find what pushrods I need and how to go about preloading my lifters so I can get an accurate measurement.
I was told I could preload all lifters by hand using a bucket with some oil and an old pushrod but still don't know how good that will work.
I do have a pushrod adjuster tool.
What I'm building is a stock 30 over block with AFR 165 heads and 1.7 crane rockers with stock cam with gt40 intake.
Could use a walk through with pushrods and the best way to preload lifters without having to put engine together and then taking back apart.

broncojunkie

I'm pretty sure the instructions for hydraulic lifters say not to try and build pressure prior to setting preload. They still have spring tension...just lighter until they are pumped up. I've found that half of them tend to bleed off during adjustment anyway. You don't need them to have pressure for adjustment. You run the nuts down by hand until you feel them stop. Once all the slack is out, you turn them with a wrench. Depending on what you're reading (or personal experience), it's usually anywhere between 1/4 and one full turn.

The correct way to measure for pushrods would be to install a light spring in place of the regular valve spring. That way, it won't collapse the lifter. You can order one from Summitt or Jegs or maybe even ebay or amazon. They're cheap. You also may find something at the local hardware stores that'll work.

Last edited:

Wayne86

I have the the stock springs..will that work?
I thought that my pedestal mount rockers where mount and torque to specs and forget about it.

broncojunkie

Are you sticking with pedestal mount? If so, that's a different animal. Most people switch to stud mount when upgrading heads. I wasn't thinking. Sorry.

Wayne86

I'm going to be using what came with the heads and the 1.7s where run on them heads.
I believe they are factory ford lightning rockers

broncojunkie

Ok. Good deal. I can't help much on adjustment and setup of pedestal rockers. It's just been too long since I've dealt with them.

I believe measuring for pushrods is the same, however. A very light spring. The one I have, I can completely collapse it with two fingers. It provides enough tension to hold the valve up, but not enough to collapse the lifter.

347HO

Knowing you have good lifters installed (you visually checked them)
The correct length pushrod will allow a near centered rub mark on the tip of the valve stem.