• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hatch release button clicking but not opening hatch

I have a gargoyle alarm on the Stang (1989 GT 5.0 Hatchback) and the hatch button worked before with the car alarm remote, now it's not.
It's not the remote as I can hear it "clicking" in the glove box.
Manually pushing the button doesn't work either.
Any ideas as to what it could be?
Maybe a fuse? But would it even click or make a sound if the fuse was blown?
Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Doesn't sound like a fuse. I can't even recall how the remote release button even worked. Small electric actuator in the hatch/trunk area, i believe. I really don't think they go bad often. I rescued an old 86 coupe that had been left behind a barn... sinking down into the ground. No keys but I was able to pop the trunk by hooking up power from a spare battery. Engine was gone and what was left of the engine harness was hanging in the engine bay. I was surprised it worked!

Anyway, you can have someone hitting the button while you listen for a click in the rear area. If no sound, just start looking for the actuator. Once you find it, look for obvious signs of failure (like cracked, burnt, broken). Use a light tester or volt meter to see if it's getting power and see if it has a good ground. If not, start tracing wire. If it's getting power and a good ground but no action, it's probably bad. These things are often just a poor connection (usually a ground wire/screw corroded).

Let us know what you find. Might come in handy for us later on!

Ok, stupid me, the hatch does open from the inside (key must be on-I forgot as I always use the remote or key).
So, maybe the wiring for the alarm? Can't be a fuse if it is working I would guess.
It was working then stopped then worked again awhile back. I don't drive her much. And I don't use the hatch much either.
Of course, now the hatch doesn't work again with the remote button. It's not the remote either as it is trying to engage (I hear clicking where the inside button is). Process of elimination, it's got to be a wiring issue. Ughh!:banghead: