• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which Strut Tower Brace??

I have a '90 GT with a mildly built 306. I'm looking for a strut tower brace that will fit over an Edlebrock Performer RPM-2 intake manifold (for a fuel injection motor). Just wanted you to know I'm noy running a 4 barrel carb set up. I recently purchased a Steeda strut tower brace that claimed it would "clear most aftermarket intakes". Unfortunately that was not the case, it didn't clear my upper intake. It was rubbing in 3 different spots, so hammering a little dent in the strut tower brace really wasn't an option. Is anyone running this manifold &/or have any ideas on what strut tower brace will fit?

John2002

S5000061.jpg

I didn't like drilling into my car with BBK's brace...My car doesn't have adjustable cam and chamber so it braces the fenders and fire wall instead of the strut towers only...it took about an hour to install...do get everything else done before you put it on... it makes it difficult to get at things after its on....

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
With the Maximum Motorsports STB the only place you drill any holes is at the Strut tower,, the rear part of the bar attaches to the pinchweld which is much stronger than attaching it to the firewall.

Attachments

• IMG_4226.JPG
    IMG_4226.JPG
    684.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

John2002

stb12_1.784.jpg View attachment 1094 View attachment 1094 Not that I needed one either but it did do away with lots of creeks from the dash from going into parking lots on an angle... I've seen some that look like bones and actually fasten to two bolts of a 4 bolt strut tower plate . I only have 3 bolts holding that steel plate to the top of the tower...It was for later model Mustangs...Mine being a convertible looses that strength of the roof of the car keeping it form twisting...I would have much rather done that type....

View attachment 1091

I didn't like drilling into my car with BBK's brace...My car doesn't have adjustable cam and chamber so it braces the fenders and fire wall instead of the strut towers only...it took about an hour to install...do get everything else done before you put it on... it makes it difficult to get at things after its on....

John2002, you didn't mention what type of strut tower brace you have...and that appears to be a stock intake manifold in the picture. The Edelbrock Performer RPM-2 is different than the stocker & taller too.

Thanks

The Maximum Motorsports STB should work. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1986-93-Mustang-Strut-Tower-Brace-fuel-injected-P594.aspx

But too be sure I'd contact them that way you'll know for sure. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/ContactUs.aspx

ALMOST STOCK, thanks for the info. I like that the Maximum Motorsports STB attaches at the pinch weld of the firewall...because I was beginning to wonder how the thin (upper) firewall was going to be strong enough to support the flex & pressure that a strut tower brace would cause. I see that you have a GT-40 intake, so I'm not sure if it'll fit around my Edelbrock PerfRPM2 intake the same, but as you suggested I'll definitely contact Maximum Motorsports before ordering. BTW your engine/compartment is freakin amazing looking!! Nice job!

Thanks again-

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
ALMOST STOCK, thanks for the info. I like that the Maximum Motorsports STB attaches at the pinch weld of the firewall...because I was beginning to wonder how the thin (upper) firewall was going to be strong enough to support the flex & pressure that a strut tower brace would cause. I see that you have a GT-40 intake, so I'm not sure if it'll fit around my Edelbrock PerfRPM2 intake the same, but as you suggested I'll definitely contact Maximum Motorsports before ordering. BTW your engine/compartment is freakin amazing looking!! Nice job!

Thanks again-
Maximum Motorsports is always truthful and good about answering any questions so just give them a call that way you'll know for sure about the fitment even though they state .
On 5.0L Mustang engines, MM Strut Tower Braces allow the use of all popular intake manifolds because no part of the brace passes over the top of the intake manifold.

This is what Maximum Motorsports tell you about mounting .
Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower Brace features:

• STB main tubes are made of rigid 1-1/4" diameter DOM tubing. This tubing is twice as stiff as the generally used 1" tubing, and DOM tubing is 30% stiffer than the more commonly used ERW, seamed tubing.
  • The brace rear support tubes bolt to the pinchweld that runs the width of the firewall. When attaching to sheet metal, the best mounting point is at a joint or a corner, such as the Mustang firewall pinchweld. This pinchweld is formed by folding and welding three pieces of metal (the upper firewall, the lower firewall, and the cowl floor) together. This provides an extremely stiff mounting point for our Strut Tower Brace.
  • Nearly all other strut tower braces attach to the very center of the firewall, its weakest and most flexible portion. Attaching there adds little stiffness, and leads to cracking and tearing of the firewall.
  • On 5.0L Mustang engines, MM Strut Tower Braces allow the use of all popular intake manifolds because no part of the brace passes over the top of the intake manifold.
  • Designed to allow the use of MM Caster/Camber plates.
  • Attached with high quality grade 5 hardware.
Thank you very much for the complement on my engine bay.

Last edited:

John2002

S5000068.jpg 56217.jpeg
John2002, you didn't mention what type of strut tower brace you have...and that appears to be a stock intake manifold in the picture. The Edelbrock Performer RPM-2 is different than the stocker & taller too.

Thanks
Its from BBK, Its in a few replies back ...Four holes drilled in the strut towers and two in the firewall on either side of where the hose for the windshield washer goes through the firewall...Its just says "GRIPP" on it, the BBK sticker was not on the brace, it was on a piece of peel off paper but I knew it was to cool to put it on when I installed the brace...so I put it on my shelf...

Last edited: