• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which Cold Air Intake Kit Passes Visual?

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
ok, I found it.. Thanks everyone..

Full Details for BBK 1556 and BBK 1557
86-93 Ford Mustang 5.0L Cold Air Intake SystemAs one of today’s favorite performance bolt-ons, cold air intake systems kits deliver great looks as well as real world horsepower gains. As the originator of the first of these chrome systems back in the early nineties, our famous BBK line continues to offer the leading edge quality and function that BBK customers expect. All BBK cold air intake s ystems utilize a high flow washable conical cotton element filter and most are designed as fender well units to maximize performance. In addition to our standard hand polished and chrome plated cold air intake systems, we now offer a variety of kits utilizing a custom designed lightweight aluminum inlet casting, which is hand polished and chrome plated. These trick castings deliver unmatched quality and a custom fit for a variety of auto and truck applications. Each cold air intake model has been designed and dyno tested at the BBK headquarters in Southern California to maximize performance. Please Note: Part 1556: 50 State legal - CARB D-245-14 on all 1986-1993 Ford Mustang 5.0L Part 1557: 50 State legal - CARB D-245-14 on all 1986-1993 Ford Mustang 5.0L

Please Note: These BBK Cold Air Kits Are 50 State Smog Legal
Part #1556: - CARB D-245-14
Part #1557: - CARB D-245-14

John2002

Mine is the SR Performance Black CAI. It uses the stock mas air flow meter so its still street legal, Its on American Muscle on for $75. I had to trim down the rubber sleeve that comes off the throttle body because it was too wide which made that first tube touch the strut tower. It went on pretty easy but I did scratch the tube a bit on the first attempt. I taped the strut tower on my second attempt after trimming down that rubber sleeve.S5000061.jpg41095.jpeg

Last edited:

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I've passed the visual for the past 16 years with the MAC Performance CIA Kit.

FWIW: MAC Performance also has carb #'s for there Cold air Kit... D-241-5 Part# 3693 or 3393 1989-1993 5.0L Ford Mustang
IMG_4218.JPG

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
I'm the original owner so my 89 stayed stock for the first 10 years and then I thought I do a few changes and then a few more changes and then a few more changes.. you can see were I'm going with this. :)
Yeah.. I am in the same boat.. Now I am thinking I going back the other way.. Stock :)

John2002

Stock or not to stock....that is the question???? Then we wouldn't need the internet and all our websites for shopping....Ford made it good, upgrading made it better....I watched about 8 hours of Barrett-Jackson this weekend and no stock Fox went across the block, a stock 87 Regal GNX did....$150.000 dollars they sold it for....WOW. it had less then 400 miles on it....Modding and upgrading are all to ones taste. My biggest exterior mod was losing that luggage rack and adding a new truck lid and rear spoiler. All stock in the interior and a few bolt ons under the hood...I know I'll never see that money back when and if I sell it but it makes the car a bit different then another Fox...Sure your going to have to replace a few items here and there but thats part of having a 25 year old plus car... Its only new ones.....

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Yeah.. I am in the same boat.. Now I am thinking I going back the other way.. Stock :)
Personally I think going back to stock sometimes is a wise choice, but I'm not going to go back to that. I'll be giving the car to my grandson in a couple of years and if want to go back to stock I'll be more than willing to help him.

John2002

When I took my oem air box off I put it in a large box and kept it on the floor near my jack, now I keep moving it back and forth when I need to get at my jack...I hated checking the air filter because that lower snap clip near the back off the air box always flipped into the box when I went to snap it over...Now I need my longest screwdriver and a flash light to get the cone type air filter off from the inside of the front fender...not much of a time saver but I don't plan on changing it that often...

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Now I need my longest screwdriver and a flash light to get the cone type air filter off from the inside of the front fender...not much of a time saver but I don't plan on changing it that often...

To change the air filter on my MAC CAI I can be reach the clamp with a short screw driver from under the car and drop it out between the splash shield and the inner fender, might take a minute longer than it did with the OEM air box. ;)

John2002

I always had trouble getting those clamp clips to line up right, one even popped back up and got lost near the bottom of the distributor once...took me a while to fine that...

John2002

My cai is the same way, it won't be on the to do list to soon. I don't think I'll be needing to clean it this year. I'm looking to find a paper cone filter for it. I never could trust myself with spraying on to little or to much oil on those types of rechargeable filters. I read it on a few site that the oil from the filters can cause problem with the mas air flow meter and signals to the ecu being slow or misread altogether.