• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What Water Temps are you all getting?

rkuhn

Mine never gets above 190 but my brother in law 86 GT stay's around 210 at idle. He put on an electric fan and it stayed the same. He's never had any issues though.

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Mine never gets above 190 but my brother in law 86 GT stay's around 210 at idle. He put on an electric fan and it stayed the same. He's never had any issues though.
Does he have cats on or off? I think my stock cats are causing my issues...

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
my wifes goes to maybe 200-210 max with mechanical fan and all 4 cats. mine goes to maybe 190 with just 2 cats and electric fan. both with under drive pulleys

89stang1

mine rarely goes over 190 unless im idling in traffic in summer then 195ish no cats. Go to Harbour Freight pick up one of those infrared laser thermometer i did good investment for around 20 bucks, you just point and shoot and see what exactly the temps are wherever you want. If you have electric fans and you push the probe too high up on rad when coolant goes down a little near probe height you get unreliable temp readings. If your going up over 200 and your not bubbling over and peeing in overflow when you shut car off i wouldnt get too worried. BTW if you decide to try a liquid additive to lower coolant temps stick with the green colored ones i used water wetter once and i thought my head gasket let go i had lots of brown slime in rad, finally i figured out it was that crap never again!

Blown347

Staff member
With a stock thermostat it will creep up to 210 sometimes. That's fine. I run colder thermostats so both of mine run around 160

87_notchfox

Here's mine after driving about 25 min...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

87_notchfox

Well its not letting me post the pic

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

87_notchfox

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365688875770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365688875770.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 11

Blown347

Staff member
Oh I just remembered that you have AFR heads Emilio. You need to get a colder thermostat. 220 you run the risk of cracking aluminum heads. The iron heads are made to run hotter