• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What to do with an 89 in a 79

Preston Pollard

I have a 79 foxbody (coupe), an 89 5.0 HO was dropped, (I mean literally) into the car. It has not been wired up or even bolted into place. I'm going to pull it back out so that I can do a full rebuild on it to make sure she is OK. What wire harness should I go back with, or do I need both? Also, do I need a new gauge cluster or can I make this one work? Any other hints or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
"P"

broncojunkie

I believe you're in for a big job if you want to convert to efi. Wiring harness would probably be the biggest challenge. Ignition system, ecm, fuel pump/line set-up, etc would all need redone. Or you could switch to a carb, eliminate all the unnecessary smog/computer/eloctronic stuff fairly easy and have a cleaner engine bay.

Preston Pollard

It has the brain, EFI and wire harness already. I am actually wanting to change it to a carb system. I was wondering if I need 2 different wire harnesses since I am going with the varb, or can I make it work with the one. Again I do have both already. Thanks for the heads up. I will need to change the fuel pump from mechanical to electric, but I have done that in the past on a 79 Bronco.

Preston Pollard

Pm sent, Preston.
I have the brain if you need it, I saw the price for the thing all over the board, what do you think it is worth? What numbers do you need off of it to see if it will work for you? Do you want everything or just the brain? O am for sure going back with a Carb do not need the EFI.

broncojunkie

I would
I have the brain if you need it, I saw the price for the thing all over the board, what do you think it is worth? What numbers do you need off of it to see if it will work for you? Do you want everything or just the brain? O am for sure going back with a Carb do not need the EFI.

I would need the computer only. And I'm not sure but this may need to go in the classified section if you do decide to sell. Just want to keep everything legit! And you are correct. Prices all over the board on these, but they are available new for around $160. So I figure $100 is fair for a used one.

Hey...how about posting a write-up on the carb swap?