• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What is a fair price?

Michaelmcclay123

Hey guys, so I'm interested in getting an SVO and I found one that's a low mileage 1984 model. He's got a sticker for $8200 on the window and I was wondering if this seemed fair?

Based on the research I've done it seems like that's top dollar for an excellent example... I was thinking ~$4000 seemed fair before I conducted my research, but I am curious what you guys think.

Thanks,
Michael

broncojunkie

Honestly, I don't think $8k is "completely" unreasonable, if it truly is low mileage and in excellent condition. The svo's are getting hard to find and (at least around here) fetching $2k+ for roached out non-running cars. I know I have well over $10k invested in my 88gt, and it's not low-mileage and still not prefect by any means. Not saying I'd pay $8200 for a nice svo, but I bet someone would... especially after shopping around for one. You definitely would be in deeper if you bought one to restore.

Michaelmcclay123

Well I only stopped to look at it for a short while and it isn't excellent and I can't confirm the miles. It's definitely "nice" it looks like it was used but kept in a garage for most of its life.

I see some people on classiccartrader.com and ebay motors asking (the operative term here) some ridiculous prices for admittedly excellent examples, but these people are asking $14-21,000!! I mean come on... the hard part is separating what people are asking and what cars are selling for. I've found some auction results and they are selling for anywhere between $4-7000. In fact one failed to sell last year at mecum with a bid of $4000.

I think one day the SVO will probably be an entry level collector car, and obviously the price will rise with that, but I don't see that happening for at least another 10 years... and maybe not even then because millennial don't particularly care to buy physical assets.

Yeah, I'm not looking to restore. What I really want it for is to make a decent autocross car that is still street-able and not gonna lose value. I also was thinking someone would buy it, but every day it's still sitting there... I've only been here a month, but the car has hardly moved and the glass paint is faded off like its been there a long while.

Last edited:

Ponyprez

As with any car, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. My 7UP Mustang LX pictured here will cost me more to make it excellent than an average Fox LX but I relied on the sellers description and photos when buying and I paid about 2K more than I should have as the seller wasn't exactly correct with his description. I have seen low mile, like new 7UP cars listed at 32K but that car is still for sale. In reality world I have seen clean higher milage cars sell for 15K which is much more in line with the market. Good Luck with your pursuit of your SVO.

347HO

Good deals are out there.
I bought mine $800.00, very cherry and 70k miles.
Red on red, 86', 5.0 LX, notch back, converted to MAF.
I searched for 2 years until I found this one.

Good luck!
I wish you success