• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

valve clearance. heads and cam

bannanacoupe

I got a good deal on some edelbrock preformer heads 1.9 intake 1.6 exhaust. So i through them on my all stock block, same 4.000 inch bore, in great shape. Anyways i checked the valve clearance with the old plato check. Didnt take the an exact measures but it looked like about an 1/8th inch without the head gasket. Id like to run a mild cam with this set up. would it clear? By the way its a 1992 fuel injected 5.0 lx. 56,000 miles on it. Im willing to buy pistons that would help me with my valve clearance. Does anyone have any experience with this? Id
appreciate the help thank you

Blown347

Staff member
You should be fine but how much space is between the valve and piston doesn't really matter (quench height) you really have to check with the cam installed and a checker spring on the valve, you have to check how much clearance the valves have at the end of the exhaust stroke when both valves are slightly open (and closest to the piston)

A cam degree kit is what you need, when you do the procedure, you can add clearance for whatever size head gasket you're going to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bannanacoupe

You should be fine but how much space is between the valve and piston doesn't really matter (quench height) you really have to check with the cam installed and a checker spring on the valve, you have to check how much clearance the valves have at the end of the exhaust stroke when both valves are slightly open (and closest to the piston)

A cam degree kit is what you need, when you do the procedure, you can add clearance for whatever size head gasket you're going to use.

ok one more question, i was looking at the f303 cam would that work well with my setup and still have valve clearance. Or what other cam would you recommend

Blown347

Staff member
ok one more question, i was looking at the f303 cam would that work well with my setup and still have valve clearance. Or what other cam would you recommend
I had an F cam in a stock bottom end 302 with twisted wedge heads and stock thickness gaskets and it was fine. You should be just fine with it, but the right way is to check it as I outlined above.

I'm an advocate of FTI for a cam, custom made for your application with all the characteristics (idle, drivability, power, etc) that you want and nothing that you don't.