• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

upper control arms not lining up in 86 Mustang

slowbowler

I am putting a narrowed 8.8 rear axle assembly in my 86. The stock upper control arms are 1.5 - 2 inches off. I don't think they are RH / LH. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
slowbowler

Blown347

Staff member
This isn't uncommon. The tolerances for the torque box manufacturing is pretty poor. You more or less have to muscle it in with 2 or 3 people pushing on the rearend. Usually to square the rearend under the car and center the wheels in the wheel wells with adjustable control arms they will wind up being different lengths on either side.

You are right they are not side specific. Te easiest way is to do 1 side upper and lower, then the other side upper first and muscle the lower with another person and a jack or two.

slowbowler

This isn't uncommon. The tolerances for the torque box manufacturing is pretty poor. You more or less have to muscle it in with 2 or 3 people pushing on the rearend. Usually to square the rearend under the car and center the wheels in the wheel wells with adjustable control arms they will wind up being different lengths on either side.

You are right they are not side specific. Te easiest way is to do 1 side upper and lower, then the other side upper first and muscle the lower with another person and a jack or two.

I think you nailed it. I didn't realize they made DOUBLE adjustable upper's until I took a second look after your post. I ordered a pair. That should take care of it. I will post after we put them in.

Thank you for your help.

God Bless,
slowbowler

Blown347

Staff member
I think you nailed it. I didn't realize they made DOUBLE adjustable upper's until I took a second look after your post. I ordered a pair. That should take care of it. I will post after we put them in.

Thank you for your help.

God Bless,
slowbowler
No problem. It's pretty easy to install double adjustables because you can set them to whatever length you need to get them bolted in then adjust from there. Once you get the rearend squared in the car you need to adjust them both evenly to set proper pinion angle. With poly bushings you should shoot for -2 to -1.5 degrees. All solid bushings should be -1 degree.