• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trying to get a 94 ford radio to work in 91 mustang GT

tizzyzz

Hello

I'm trying to install a factory ford 94 non premium radio in my 91 GT I can get the radio to work fine, clock and stations but the button lights do not light LEDs are good I jumped them with a battery and they all lite. I read that 94 and newer had an extra ground to control the button lights. I have to stock radio harnesses one black and one gray. I have tried to figure out the wiring to add another ground. I know my 91 grounds to chassis. Has any other successfully got the buttons to light on a fox body older than 94. Radio works great just a little problem knowing what preset or volume button to push at night.

Thanks for any help figuring this out. I have spend a few hours and blown the radio fuse a few times

Blown347

Staff member
Couldn't you just jump the extra ground to the existing ground for the radio? If there is an extra 12v for the lights you could either jump it to the keyed source for the radio or run a wire up to connect it to the headlight switch so they only come on with the rest of the dash lights.

Blown347

Staff member
Under the technical, maintenance and modification section there is a sticky with all the wiring diagrams for a fox. Those might help you find the appropriate wires.

tizzyzz

Thanks for your help I was trying the ground to another ground but must have been wrong with ground a few time as it blew the fuse. Good thing I bought fuses in bulk. I'll check the tech for that sticky. Thanks

Blown347

Staff member
Cool let me know if you dot get it to work I'll dig up some more info for ya. If you hit the ground to a hot wire it will always pop the fuse.