• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

To crate or to build up

ahart3255

I have a 91 v8 conversion with a 306 mid cam so I am told. I am on a tight budget and wanted to hear thoughts on if I should build my engine up or just go crate motor. I am looking for a driver that can handle the strip. Personally I would like to get up to around 500 whp n/a I know it's expensive but I have time and this is for my son who is 4 now and want this to be our project together. So.ething for him and I to do together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated by myself and helpful to my pocket. I have another son that's 11 months but we will do his later in life

Attachments

• 20170928_125025.jpg
    20170928_125025.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

broncojunkie

500 whp na isn't that hard to do. It's just hard to do and keep it streetable on pump gas. The easiest way would be a 351w. Well, actually a stroked 351w would be easiest. But there's nothing cheap about it. If you are 100% sure you'll be staying na, you can save some money by using hypereutectic pistons instead of forged. But most of your money will be in the heads, anyway. You'll have to spend some money there. You'll also find that you'll be spending a lot on supporting mods. A strong 5 speed manual transmission will cost a lot. If you want a 4 speed toploader, that would hold up, but the bellhousing and shifter will cost another $800-1000. An auto transmission (c4 or aod) built to hold the power are the cheapest options.

Whatever route you take, if you have the time to shop around, you can usually find everything you need on the used market... even if you're looking for new parts. But I would consider building the motor instead of buying a crate motor, if you're on a budget. From what I have seen, you pay a premium for convenience when you buy crate motors. And sometimes, you end up changing parts on them anyway. I figure you're better off finding a GOOD (I can't stress that enough) machine shop or individual to build you one. I usually opt for having them assemble the short block and then I finish it myself. You can save some money assembling the rotating parts yourself, and I've done that too, but for warranty purposes on an expensive motor, it could pay off in the long run to have the pros do it.

Ecupiratr0531

408 stroker is a strong motor and will get you the numbers you are looking for. I love mine and don't rule out the juice.

Attachments

• Resized_20171204_214914.jpg
    Resized_20171204_214914.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 6

Rick723

I have a 91 v8 conversion with a 306 mid cam so I am told. I am on a tight budget and wanted to hear thoughts on if I should build my engine up or just go crate motor. I am looking for a driver that can handle the strip. Personally I would like to get up to around 500 whp n/a I know it's expensive but I have time and this is for my son who is 4 now and want this to be our project together. So.ething for him and I to do together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated by myself and helpful to my pocket. I have another son that's 11 months but we will do his later in life
Are you wanting 500 hp to the wheel or crank? About the highest NA without power adder (nitrous, turbo, SC) with EFI would be around 380 rwhp and 425 hp to the crank with a good H/C/I combo (head, cam, intake).

ahart3255

Thank you all for you comments and words of wisdom. I have come to realize that 500 is a big number to reach. And I have time to make this happen or at least get close to it. This project will be a life long experience for myself and my sons. Besides Foxbody mustangs are cool as hell. At least in my time it was and always will be for me. So with that being said I will post some pics of progress throughout the project and progress I have made. Again thanks for the info. I may need help in the future.

Attachments

• 20170627_170223.jpg
    20170627_170223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20170709_232224.jpg
    20170709_232224.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20170713_200704.jpg
    20170713_200704.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

ahart3255

While I wam in this deep I just replaced the heater core and removed the a/c core I done need air conditioning. I decided against the heater core bypass and opted to delete the a/c. Also guidance on manual vs power steering and I plan on replacing the whole set up except column so pricing would be helpful. I see many site have conversion kits to manual rack it's a toss up I know I will gain power but is it really worth it going manual? Also I am replacing the suspension with an upgrade but more towards the stock setting variety. Have a great day all and talk to you soon

Attachments

• 20170718_161703.jpg
    20170718_161703.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170718_161724.jpg
    20170718_161724.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7