• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tire question

Jess8e

Have a 88 gt with the rare chrome pony 16" wheels and having a Clarence issue with the front tires. They rub. The size is 255/65/16, and I'm wondering if 245/50zr16 would be ok to run on the front and leave the 255/65 on the back. I understand it may give it a stances look which isn't really what I'm looking for but I can deal with it. Just wondering if the tire will fi the rim ok and if it will fix the clearance issue. Thanks guys, I'm new here and this is my first post so take it easy on me.

Jess8e

Nevermind, I'm retarded! I have 215/60's on the front that are rubbing. My real question is can I put a smaller width tire on the front? Suggestions?

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Nevermind, I'm retarded! I have 215/60's on the front that are rubbing. My real question is can I put a smaller width tire on the front? Suggestions?

Jesse not home right now.., where exactly is it rubbing.. Maybe go to a lower profile tire like a 50 series..

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Have a 88 gt with the rare chrome pony 16" wheels and having a Clarence issue with the front tires. They rub. The size is 255/65/16, and I'm wondering if 245/50zr16 would be ok to run on the front and leave the 255/65 on the back. I understand it may give it a stances look which isn't really what I'm looking for but I can deal with it. Just wondering if the tire will fi the rim ok and if it will fix the clearance issue. Thanks guys, I'm new here and this is my first post so take it easy on me.

The 1979-90 Mustang had a smaller front fender opening than the 1991-93 Mustang. Without clearance problems or tire rub, the best appearing and performing set up here is to run a 17x8 front wheel with a 245/45/17 tire and for the rear you can run a 17x9 wheel with a 275/40/17 tire with no clearance problems.

Blown347

Staff member
215? I think your problem is the profile as well. Run a 215/50 or a 215/45 and that should resolve your issue.

lyonmt

remember, as you reduce width, the height will reduce. for example, for a 215/60 tire, the sidewall is 60% of 215 = 129mm height on the sidewall. on a 205/60 tire the sidewall is only 123mm height sidewall.