• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Streetable horsepower?

Fox331

What's your idea of a good streetable horsepower?

Let's not go insane here an say 1000hp or anything crazy. Just a good amount for daily driving an maybe a blue moon trip to the track.

With my engine build, I'm shooting for right around 400

Mind you these will be rear wheel power numbers I'm looking for

Sent from my EVO

Blown347

Staff member
On a stock block you should go more then 500 ish at the wheels. And that is a monster. Trust me I have one ;) I don't drive it every day anymore but I used to. It was fine but gas mileage is terrible

Fox331

A 400rwhp daily driver will be a monster. U will enjoy everyday :) and will spank 80% or more of whatever u pull up on. My .02

I loved my old '96 GT. It made 306/423 on 100 shot. An I drove her everyday. Without it she made 220/300 an it was fairly fun. I could spin the tires anywhere (4.10's) an beat up "some" cars.

On a stock block you should go more then 500 ish at the wheels. And that is a monster. Trust me I have one ;) I don't drive it every day anymore but I used to. It was fine but gas mileage is terrible

Well I aimed for 400 on the stock block cause I hear stories about breaking @ 500 or more

Sent from my EVO

madspeed

while not my dd, im planning a single turbo install on my stock block 33, hoping to net around 480 rwhp. 500 is about max whp on a stock block.

What are you planning??

Fox331

Just a small n/a build. Maybe a lil giggle gas in the mix. Should be around 400rwhp before the gas

Sent from my EVO

BANDITGT

350 - 400 is a roughly 3000 pound car is plenty. Sounds like a good build

Sent from my drivers seat on my iPhone4 via Tapatalk

Fox331

Well I'll be taking out my carpet, rear seats and replacing the front seats with race seats. Keeping a/c & heat for now.

Going to be scraping the glue an whatnot off the floor then coating it with truck bed liner an keeping it just as that. Along with the head liner. Hopefully I can get it under 3000lbs

Probably next year or so I'll be replacing the hatch with a fiber glass one and both doors with all lexan windows

I think around 370-400 at the wheels should be fun an maybe 150 wet shot on top just to tip it over a little

Sent from my EVO

Jonny

To me 500whp is plenty streetable with the right suspension. Anything over that becomes a serious chore. My dd(turbo V6) puts down 350whp and it is fun as hell. I can't imagine what I would do if my coupe had that much power.

Blown347

Staff member
It's your build, but you don't need to be so drastic to saw weight. Pull te carpet, scrape the sound deadener, and that's about 70 lbs. the carpet doesn't need to stay out. Remove the back seat, and after that you can get under 3k just by buying lighter parts. Get aluminum rims, an aluminum heads are a big weight saver compare to the stock e7s. An aluminum radiator, driveshaft, and intake as well. Not to mention a tubular radiator support and k member. Then if that isn't enough weight you can look at a Fiberglas hood and hatch and lexan windows.

Te headliner only weighs like 20 lbs so that isn't really worth yanking either. You can make it lightweight without having to sacrifice the looks.

Fox331

I have the tw 190cc heads and a performer rpm intake, a fiberglass 3in cowl hood. My carpet is all jacked so I'm just gonna pull it an scrap the floor then do a simple truck bed liner in it an put the seats back in.

Sent from my EVO

John2002

Street-able?? Don't you mean street race -able??? I can only think off " The Bigger, The Better" applies here but at what cost can it even out.? Good luck with the build...

83stang

I'd say 350-400 as well. For now I have 308 RWHP shooting for 380 w/turbo FYI bed liner in that car will get hot as hell in the summer. Iv bed lined over 30 Jeeps including mine. And or stangs are inclosed just a heads up.

anthonydalrymple

355\350 rear wheel here at 3,600lbs n\a; well over 400 on both with the N2O fired. Car is fun both n\a or on the juice. I honestly don't use the juice on the street; traction in any gear just gets too sketchy.... Why risk wrecking my baby? You need to make a choice in my opinion; either keep it full weight without gutting by making good power or make mild power & gut it like a fish. Me, I chose to keep everything(full power), nice stereo, heat, etcetera & I only eliminated the air conditioning. My air conditioning preference is having the top down whenever I can.... ;)