• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So....what did you do to your foxbody today?

Redtwilight

Shinigami
While we still had some nice weather on Friday before more snow came in; I spent a little time to hand polish the drag wheels on my '93.

broncojunkie

While we still had some nice weather on Friday before more snow came in; I spent a little time to hand polish the drag wheels on my '93.

Looks great! I need to do the same to the draglites on my pace car. I also picked up another set of draglites in 5-lug. They're in dire need of a good cleaning and polishing. I plan on doing a 5-lug conversion to one or two cars this summer.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Looks great! I need to do the same to the draglites on my pace car. I also picked up another set of draglites in 5-lug. They're in dire need of a good cleaning and polishing. I plan on doing a 5-lug conversion to one or two cars this summer.

I'm currently collecting the parts to swap the coupe to 5 lug Cobra brakes myself. I have about a 1/4 - 1/3 of the parts needed. Trying to save up a little to get the rear axles next.

MustangMike

Change radiator to 3 core mishimoto new water pump and thermo housing thinking about going back to mechanical on my fans any thoughts?

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Change radiator to 3 core mishimoto new water pump and thermo housing thinking about going back to mechanical on my fans any thoughts?

Are you already running electric fans? If so, why switch back?
I prefer my electric fan; not only because of the HP it frees up, but the front of the engine looks cleaner.
Do you plan to add a supercharger or turbo to the car in the future? If you do, then you'll probably will need the electric fan.

broncojunkie

I prefer my electric fan; not only because of the HP it frees up, but the front of the engine looks cleaner.
Do you plan to add a supercharger or turbo to the car in the future? If you do, then you'll probably will need the electric fan.
I 2nd this. I will never run a clutch fan again. You have to upgrade you're alternator, of course. But then again, I'll never run the stock alternators in these cars again either! A 3g swap is easy and cheap. Plus, it eliminates a known fire hazard with the 2g set-up. The two upgrades go hand-in-hand imo.

broncojunkie

Screenshot_20180309-003925-960x540.png
Here's a pic of my fan set-up. Not a great pic, I know, but it does show how much clearance I have with a 3-row aluminum radiator.
It's a single fan which is designed for a Chevy HHR. I purchased a new aftermarket one from Rock Auto for around $60 shipped, iirc. It fits perfectly and mounting was really simple. I cut down some aluminum angle stock and drilled holes in the upper and lower plastic fan housing. On the other side of the aluminum angle stock, I drilled holes and used self-tapping screws to attach to the upper and lower sections of the radiator. If you are wanting a dual fan, the Ford Contour fan works well. I would suggest running two separate fan switches... either through a temperature regulated fan switch or manual switches inside the car. If choosing the thermo fan switches, even if you use the same temperature setting, they won't kick on at exactly the same time. Two fans kicking on together will put a good load on even the 130a alternator. Plenty of power to run them, but they pull some amps on start-up.

MustangMike

Well wanna eventually run electric fans just not enough experience with running electricelectrical and don't wanna screw up shroud fans with 3 core I hope should keep me kool got no mechanically inclined friends so got no help other than u guys here so thanks for any and everything I really appreciate it guys worked my butt off for my first stang at 16 and lost it to a thief now I'm 43 and got aanother 1 so eager to keep it Rollin

MustangMike

Not planing on it but will the shroud and clutch fit with blades with 3 core?

broncojunkie

Me and one of the boys have been working on upgrading the suspension in the pace car. We pulled the 7.5 rear, installed torque box reinforcement plates and new aftermarket upper and lower control arms. The fresh 8.8 was pretty much ready to go in except for swapping over the new 5-lug axles. I have new hardened 4-lug axles in it, but decided on 5-lug swapping after researching brake options. Ran into problems with the cheapo wheel studs that came with the axle kit from LMR. So I'm at a standstill till my new studs come in from Summit (should have them in 2 days). It's always something.
20180616_111253-1024x768.jpg

20180616_111319-1024x768.jpg

Redtwilight

Shinigami
This past Friday night, our town had the local cruise-in where they block off Main Street around the courthouse. There were only 2 Foxes at the cruise-in. Basically "Book-Ends" of the Fox Mustang lineage!
They were my '93 Coupe and this nice '79 Pace Car.

broncojunkie

This past Friday night, our town had the local cruise-in where they block off Main Street around the courthouse. There were only 2 Foxes at the cruise-in. Basically "Book-Ends" of the Fox Mustang lineage!
They were my '93 Coupe and this nice '79 Pace Car.

Who could drive such an ugly pile? Lol

broncojunkie

I finished some work on the rear suspension and brakes. I've only had time here and there to work on it. Just too much going on, I guess.

I'm usually the type that researches everything before jumping in. I overlooked a big one here. The plan was to have a set of 5-lug wheels with street tires and keep bias ply slicks on my 5-lug draglites. I ordered a set of 3" wheel studs for the track. I'm doing the 94-95 sn95 spindles up front, which takes care of the center cap issue. It never dawned on me that I would have a similar issue with the rear axles, using the long studs.

At this point, I can cut the studs down, run the wheels without centers, or get me an extra pair of draglites for street tires.

I really had my heart set on these factory wheels, but draglites make more sense I guess. I hate these decisions.

20180623_003539-2016x1512.jpg

Redtwilight

Shinigami
I finished some work on the rear suspension and brakes. I've only had time here and there to work on it. Just too much going on, I guess.

I'm usually the type that researches everything before jumping in. I overlooked a big one here. The plan was to have a set of 5-lug wheels with street tires and keep bias ply slicks on my 5-lug draglites. I ordered a set of 3" wheel studs for the track. I'm doing the 94-95 sn95 spindles up front, which takes care of the center cap issue. It never dawned on me that I would have a similar issue with the rear axles, using the long studs.

At this point, I can cut the studs down, run the wheels without centers, or get me an extra pair of draglites for street tires.

I really had my heart set on these factory wheels, but draglites make more sense I guess. I hate these decisions.

View attachment 1611

Have you tried fitting the center cap? How much did it lack clearing?

I wonder if a pair of 94-97 Cobra center caps will fit those wheels?!
If not what about just marking the back side of the center cap and drilling a clearance hole at the studs?

broncojunkie

Have you tried fitting the center cap? How much did it lack clearing?

I wonder if a pair of 94-97 Cobra center caps will fit those wheels?!
If not what about just marking the back side of the center cap and drilling a clearance hole at the studs?
They look like they're a good 3/4" too long. I don't think they'd look right even if a deeper center cap did fit. I will most likely just use these wheels on the cobra and find another set. I actually have another set, but I'm not crazy about them. I'll figure something out lol

Redtwilight

Shinigami
The Cobra center caps have "holes" that go over the studs/lugs.
Not sure if you knew anyone around that had one you could try out.

If you'd like, I'll measure one of mine and get the diameter.
If they are the same diameter I'd even loan you one to try for fit if you wanted.

27354d1178437628-1996-cobra-wheels-needed-5-2.jpg

Redtwilight

Shinigami
They look like they're a good 3/4" too long. I don't think they'd look right even if a deeper center cap did fit. I will most likely just use these wheels on the cobra and find another set. I actually have another set, but I'm not crazy about them. I'll figure something out lol

Here ya go. Overall 6 3/4" across
And 6 1/8" across the mounting ring.