• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Nick87Saleen

i have a 1987 Saleen. Under hard acceleration and high rpm downshifts it smokes smells like oil. Any ideas what that's from?

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
might be an exhaust leak at the collector or the headers... Sometimes it can also be from the valve gaskets leaking onto the headers..

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
If that was the case wouldn't it smoke from under hood? The bluish/white smoke comes out of the exhaust
I thought you posted under hood, my mistake... If its bluish/white smoke that is not good.. Check your dip stick put the oil in your two finger tip and tap them together if it turns milky its a blown head gasket or something worst.. Make sure your engine is not running and don't every touch the oil while HOT...

Blown347

Staff member
Run to the parts store and get a block tester, it will tell you if there are combustion gases present in the coolant (I.e. A blown head gasket) that's what it sounds like to me, but it could also be that you've got a cylinder about to let go, since it's not constant smoking. Could be getting blowby from a bad cylinder when you get on it hard

squekster

Depending on how many miles are on the engine and how it was driven I would have to say
a rebult might be in order. Or it could be a simple valve seal leak. A head gsket leak would
cause smoking no matter what the rpm and also cause the radiator to over flow due to
exhaust entering the coolant system.