• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Removing stock radio advis

Alex4eye86

I want to replaced radio with an aftermarket one since the current one does not work . My car did come with the premium sound system . Any advise on removing it ? I already removed center console and the bolts the hold the bracket around the radio and the lil b won't come out ! What's the trick ?

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
The only trick it that you'll need to get the radio removal tools at your local Auto parts or Stereo Shop there nothing more than a stiff piece of wire with a barb on the end.
At the top and bottom of you radio you'll see holes where the removal tool goes , slip the tool in and slide the radio out.

Last edited:

John2002

Go to latemodelresto.com. they have a 7 minute video to remove the center console, to do that you have to remove the radio. I got my tool for 6 dollars...another tool I will never use again...

John2002

Sorry Alex, it seems that they were installed in the dash first the the dash was put in the car...I looked on you tube as well and no one had anything on removing the radio...Good Luck or seek some professional help....

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
These are the only instruction I can find on removing the 1986 factory radio.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. On models with console, remove console as follows:

1. Remove gear shift lever opening plate. Lift plate up at front end and disengage from clip.

2. Remove console panel moulding from center of console.

3. Remove front ashtray.

4. Remove 2 console-to-floor pan attaching screws located under the ashtray.

5. Open console storage compartment door and remove 4 console-to-floor pan attaching screws.

6. Disconnect all electrical connectors from console, then remove console from vehicle.

1. On all models, disconnect all electrical connectors from radio.

2. Remove control knobs, discs, control shaft nuts and washers.

3. Remove ashtray and bracket.

4. Remove radio rear support attaching nut.

5. Remove instrument panel lower reinforcement.

6. Remove A/C or heater floor ducts.

7. Remove radio from bezel and rear support, then lower from instrument panel.

8. Reverse procedure to install.

2008-08-23_152022_must.png

Sounds like you need to pull the dash and remove the radio from the rear after reading this.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/143903-how-remove-radio-1986-mustang-gt.html

Alex4eye86

These are the only instruction I can find on removing the 1986 factory radio.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. On models with console, remove console as follows:

1. Remove gear shift lever opening plate. Lift plate up at front end and disengage from clip.

2. Remove console panel moulding from center of console.

3. Remove front ashtray.

4. Remove 2 console-to-floor pan attaching screws located under the ashtray.

5. Open console storage compartment door and remove 4 console-to-floor pan attaching screws.

6. Disconnect all electrical connectors from console, then remove console from vehicle.

1. On all models, disconnect all electrical connectors from radio.

2. Remove control knobs, discs, control shaft nuts and washers.

3. Remove ashtray and bracket.

4. Remove radio rear support attaching nut.

5. Remove instrument panel lower reinforcement.

6. Remove A/C or heater floor ducts.

7. Remove radio from bezel and rear support, then lower from instrument panel.

8. Reverse procedure to install.

View attachment 1135

Sounds like you need to pull the dash and remove the radio from the rear after reading this.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/143903-how-remove-radio-1986-mustang-gt.html

Thanks for the help o finally got that sucker out ! What a pain !

John2002

Yep, there are somethings on this car that can drive you up a wall.....did you ever change the PVC valve on a FI 5.0...What an idiot that guy was....

SiberianStang

Oh The Memories I Remember The First Time I Took One Of Those Out The Tricky Part Was I Didn't Have Access To A Wiring Chart To Figure Out From The Factory Amp To The Radio Which Wires To Splice Into Since They Have All Those Crazy Colors Orange With A Blue Stripe and Green With A Pink Stripe What A Nightmare That Was!

John2002

Yep, you shouldn't look like you just lost a fight with a cat when you work on your car...always whacking my head on something or getting long deep scratches on my forearms trying to pick up something that I dropped somewhere. I always seem to find things getting caught on the lower control arms for some reason....and my telescoping magnet seems to stick to everything but what I dropped....