• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Post Pic's of your favorite Plastic Fox Mustang build ups here.

I will attempt to list a few of my old plastic model kits and some old toys found in a box in the attic. I use to paint these Plastic model kits with real automotive paints and clears when I had left over paint from a car on the line or personal restoration job. There are some pieces that will need reglued but photographed them anyway.

There are many more boxes up there with newer fox Mustangs and other non Mustang foxes kitbashed to make models of the cars that the plastic kit model manufactuers never made. I'll have to get serious one day, get them out, glue some parts back on and list pic's.

It's been years since I have seen them. Forgot how cool they are. I was never into diecast being a hands on builder and custom fabbing kits from ones that were never made. That was the fun part.

Hopefully we can get a Fox Mustang plastic model kit thread going.

At least I think people still built these..

Blown347

Staff member
I just bought a 93 cobra model. I wanted to build it to match my fox. But I'm no model guru, and all the painting and glue scares me haha

Oh Yeah, That is one killer kit. You will love to build it, It is one of my favorites. Actually its the original Monogram tooling from the 79 cobra and pace car kit that has been retooled for all of the later fox mustang years. 83, 87 to 93 etc.. hatches and verts. now labeled Revell. It really does build very easily (I.M.O) the best brand, most fun kits to build and very authentic. If you need tips as you go, feel free to chime in this board for Q's, I or someone else I am sure, will be glad to help.
You might also see if you have a good hobby shop locally that has someone there that has knowledge in building plastic model cars and trucks. That will help you get started. Or you can go on line to the Scale Auto Magazine website for tips on how to build really nice models. Between here at the board and any other sources you can find to bounce from, we should be able to help guide you through any Q's that come up.
I believe you can still purchase model paint in small jars to duplicate all of the factory colors like Teal or whichever you decide to use, or even just a small hobby shop spray bomb.
I myself use to prep all my kits accordingly for high end automotive color/clear finishes. However very expensive you are not around them all day. Just a little practice and a little patients go a long way. Not hard once you lay out the instructions. I usually have everything painted on the plastic trees first then assemble, then possible touch up with a small brush where it was attached to the tree once the parts are cut from trees and glued into place.
I remember my first kit being a little overwhelming at first too, but once you start you will see it is really easy. There are so many choices in the types of glues out there in the hobby. Technology for materials have never been greater for glues and paints for model cars. Jump on in and don't hesitate to ask......

Blown347

Staff member
Lol i'm definitely not, I just thought it would be cool to have. I know nothing about it and i may very well make my wife build it haha

Revell/Monogram will be releasing a 2 in 1 90 notch that can be built as an SSP or standard production car. I will be getting at least 2 of these. 1 will be made as a CHP car, and 1 will be made the way I am planning my next real Mustang. It will require using parts from at least 2 other Mustang models. I already have an unbuilt 99 Cobra that I'll be using the wheels and Irs from, I'll have to get an Svo for the seats to make them like the Tmi terminator style fox seats. And if I can find one an 83 glx conv for the netted halo headrests. I may need to find a kit with the T-top option or just cut the roof on the notch and leave it. Unfortunately this will all have to wait until the notch is released I believe in April. I'll post pics when the project starts.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Excellent news, Thanks for the info. I'm so glad Revell/Monogram is doing it. IMO anything AMT issued after 1965 were not fun to build and were crap in their body and suspension department as in never fitting correctly. The Monogram mold has most likely been altered AGAIN from their original 79 pace car kit for the new notch?
This is great news, I will be buying many kits as well to build many SSP and Standard Notch versions.
Thanks for letting us know...:D :D:D:D

No problem, I have been out of building for years but have a few kits still NIB and a few others in different build stages. I have the 91 Gt conv that came with the saleen wing that I was in the process of putting a tbird sc engine into, along with some body mods.

Okay then, Better give your wife the good news. lol. :eek: I knew this model forum would get jump started eventually. :cool: I can see the kits rolling out of the closets now with this new release.

Yeah I just broke the plastic on the 99 Cobra to check the fitment of the irs to the fox kit. Good news is it looks like just in real life it will go right in. Cool thing is it almost exactly the same as a real irs with the support frame separate from the center section, axels and upper and lower control arms.

Edit: I'll get some pics later.

I agree, that irs rear end is pretty accurate. I used that same kit mixed in with some other older Monogram / Revells to kit bash and build a highly modified, customized 82 G.T. T-Top. I nailed down the color and have it staged ready to go. It looks very close to the automotive finish House of Color, True Blue Pearl. Not sprayed yet, but used the rear end and wheels out of the 99 Cobra. Had to cut the axles down front and back to tuck the wheels in under the body to look right and fab new mounting plates from plastic for it to mount, but will be killer when done. Their kits are extremely accurate. Can't wait for the notch.

P.S. I didn't initially realize the newer Cobra wheel track was that much wider than the old fox until I was lining up all the suspension pieces for the conversion. I guess, just like the real ones.