• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pace Car Clueless

first mustang

Sorry if not posted in the correct thread category, as I'm not on this site very often. Any who, I have a 1979 Pace Car - 302 automatic. Had not been on road or registered and had set since 1988 until I bought it. A Complete car but rough, not really rust wise, was just everything in general. Being a G body Oldsmobile guy, I don't know much about Mustangs except what I research and only know a little to be dangerous. Engine and Transmission was fortunately good, which was a surprise and did the norm to get it running good, gas tank, carb etc. etc.
MY QUESTIONS - Exhaust - I assume originally a single exhausts were used regardless of engine size? Was it the same single exhaust as on a 1974 -1978 v8 car? Or would the single exhaust on a 302 other Ford model be the same length bend etc. for a one piece unit?
Is there vendors who sell the entire unit from the manifolds to the back of the car?
ALSO - I'm missing one exterior trim piece- the lower hatch window trim - was the lower piece on a trunk model the same? Was the hatch back 74-78 trim pieces the same at the hatch window?
I apologize as I'm learning as I go along?
Thanks for anyone's time.

broncojunkie

79 and up share very little with the 74-78. The 79 through, I can't recall...83 maybe? came with single exhaust. You can have an exhaust shop fab you one, but the passenger side will hang down a little. Exhaust from a later fox v8 will work after a some minor mods. First, you will need a double-hump (later model) transmission crossmember. These are readily available in the aftermarket world. Next, you will need to re-route the rear brake line. Again, parts are available to do this. I've done several and it's not a bad job at all. Get a rear brake hose assembly for later model. It's a hose and bracket that attaches to the rear diff housing and another bracket that mounts under the trunk floor pan just above the diff toward the driver's side. Run a new hard line to each rear wheel and you're done. Parts are cheap. You get new hard lines. Good deal! Oh, and you'll also have to extend the hard line to the bracket that attaches to the floor pan, but it's just a section of 3/16 line. Use the NiCopp line and it bends easily.

An h-pipe or x-pipe from a (86?)87-93 5.0 will work. The rest of the exhaust can be made by your local shop or there are pre-bent options available.

As for your hatch trim, last I checked, it wasn't available as an aftermarket piece. You can find used, but they're typically not in great shape. I need a couple myself!

Last edited: