• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New to forums. Novice 93 mustang enthusiast.

Blown347

Staff member
so im getting ready to the the explorer intake swap and have a few questions. Should I also replace the lower intake with the top? Does the throttle body from the Explorer easily swap into the Mustang? Im not sure but shouldn't the size of the throttle body and EGR spacer be equal to the manifold? Any additional thoughts would be awesome
You have to replace the upper and lower as a pair, the ports are different then the stocker so they're not interchangeable. To swap the throttle body you have to take it apart and put the mustang linkage on it. It's doable but much easier to just buy an aftermarket throttle body. Yes to see the most from it the throttle body and spacer should be the se size as the opening. You should swap the MAF as well, the stocker is only like 52mm or something. The stock one off a 94/95 5.0 is the cheapest option, bolts right in and is a 73mm.

mattman93

so after doing some research i found that the throttle body opening on the upper intake manifold is only 5mm wider than the stock Mustang V8. Can that little of a difference really produce any extra power at all? I already got the upper and lower intake off a early 97 explorer. Is it going to be worth it?

lyonmt

The larger the opening the more air. So the more you do to the motor, the more air (and fuel and spark) its going to want. So if you don't increase the TB opening, you are creating a restriction. The TB is not about giving power, but about not limiting your potential. I hope that makes sense.