• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New to forum

Wade Moore

I've always wanted a 1986 Mustang GT that I could work on once retired (2 years). I just ran into one that was all original. Eventually, I want to pull the motor and do some things to it, but for now, I'm just looking for inexpensive things to do now, just to get started. I figured I would start with headers and some 40 series master flow mufflers.

Any recommendations on headers? I was looking at the BBK 15150's, ceramic coated.

Is there are big difference in equal and unequal? I'm just afraid the equal won't fit in there?

Are the Master Flow original 40 series the best sound for the 5.0?

One more thing, what is the best way to keep the rear end glued to the ground?

Any help or suggestions for getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Sawmill

Old and tired
Keeping the rear end down is mainly a matter of practice; how one applies the power during takeoff.
I've never been much of a hot-modder (new term maybe?)so I can't address those things. I've been studying on restoring paint and can help in that area when and if.
Pleasure to meet you.
Mike W

Wade Moore

Keeping the rear end down is mainly a matter of practice; how one applies the power during takeoff.
I've never been much of a hot-modder (new term maybe?)so I can't address those things. I've been studying on restoring paint and can help in that area when and if.
Pleasure to meet you.
Mike W
Thanks for your reply. I've never been much of a "hot-modder" either, but I did want something to tinker with when I retire. A friend and I rebuilt the motor in his 64 Chevelle when I was 15 and used to do a little bit of work on my cars when something broke, but never had anything with a decent motor. Once you couldn't see motors anymore, I stopped working on them. I wanted this car so I could work on it. After I got it, it's all original and I hate to mess with it, but people keep telling me the whole reason I bought it was to work on it, so I think I am going to eventually become a "hot-modder."

Sawmill

Old and tired
It can be a fascinating journey, and one with no end point but always something more to do.
Just maintaining our two '82 GT's (his and hers) requires quite a bit of doing. Modifications can create something uniquely your own, and most can be reversed if they turn out to have "fewer marbles than advertised".

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Welcome to the Forum!
Post up some pics of the '86! I have an '86 LX hatch with T-tops myself.

What are your plans with the car? Just to be a good cruiser? Looking for better handling or more straight line performance?

As far as the headers, the BBK's that you have listed above should be just fine. You won't notice too much of a difference between equal and unequal length. The unequal length will be way easier to install.
The Flowmaster 40 series will sound good too. Go with the entire cat-back system instead of just welding in the mufflers alone. Since you're replacing the headers and mufflers, this would be a good time to replace the factory mid pipe with a better performing (and sounding) H-pipe or X-pipe mid.

A good place to start with keeping it planted would be the suspension. The bushings, if original, are most likely worn out. Start by replacing them front and rear with new rubber bushings or upgrade to polyurethane ones. You could even upgrade the rear control arms with aftermarket tubular ones that already come with poly bushings.
Shocks and Struts would probably be the next thing to look at changing as they are also probably worn out if still original.