• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New from Texas, Wanting to Fix My Dad's '79

changstang

Hey!

I'm a young man trying to fix up my dad's 79 Mustang. I know little to nothing about cars in general but I really really want to get the car running again and call it my own. I love the Fox body and this car has meaning to me. I'd appreciate any suggestions and/or help I can get. I'm new to this but very excited...

It's a 2.3l 4 cylinder turbocharged 1979, nothing was wrong with it except that it just sat in the garage for around 20 years without a start. I heard that carburetor engines were not too reliable, so I wanted to drop a v8 into it, but a lot of people advised me to just see if it will run first. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• mustang79.jpg
    mustang79.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 7

Blown347

Staff member
Welcome!

I'd advise the following to try: replace the battery, coil, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. Change the oil and filter and the coolant. You will also need to change the fuel filter and flush the tank and put new fuel in it (assuming the tank hasn't rusted inside.)

If it doesn't start with those then we can go through a checklist and help you get it fired up.

changstang

Welcome!

I'd advise the following to try: replace the battery, coil, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. Change the oil and filter and the coolant. You will also need to change the fuel filter and flush the tank and put new fuel in it (assuming the tank hasn't rusted inside.)

If it doesn't start with those then we can go through a checklist and help you get it fired up.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Ill try to do all those things in time. I turned over the engine by hand this morning and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug sockets. What do you think should be my immediate next step? Out of the things you suggested?

Blown347

Staff member
Battery, and new fluids/filters. I'd assume the battery is toast after all that sitting, as are all the fluids. I don't suggest trying to start it without at least all of those.

broncojunkie

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

By the way... here's what the fuel pump in my 88 looked like after sitting 15 yrs:

The fuel level sending unit wasn't much better. Neither one worked. I would suggest dropping the tank and checking everything out. Trust me. It's worth the peace of mind!

One Owner 1982

I have been working on my one owner 1982 2.3l 2 barrel carb hatch back since December 2022. I’ve been through the fuel system, breaks, front and read suspension, steering, gages, lights, door seals/hinge pins and AC system. I kept my TRX wheels and bought new tires. I’m driving the car weekly now and exercising it to get the bugs out. I’m planning to start interior repairs this winter. I like the original 2.3L carb engine although it’s not a beast by no means. It’s just fun to drive.

Attachments

• IMG_5741.jpeg
    IMG_5741.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0