• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need some advice?

Stangboi89

I recently just bought a 90 lx 5.0 hatchback. The motor definitely needs some tlc. I'm looking for the best but cheapest way to build my motor up. I really don't know alot about all the little things like injectors and different compression. I've been looking at getting a trick flow top end kit?? Any suggestions on that or suggestions on a better one.. It would be appreciated if someone could write a good detailed list of what all I would need. Thank you

broncojunkie

Welcome! The best way is definitely not the cheapest. The cheapest is definitely not the best! The good news is that you have a mass air car, so you can make some decent power without having to worry about what will play well with the ecu.

First, I would consider how much money you can spend and what you expect/want out of the car. Sounds to me like you just want to maximize the performance on a limited budget (as are most of us lol). You might want to start by understanding the choking points on your motor. The cam isn't great by any means, but lots of people make power with them. There is basically an unlimited number of choices, when it comes to aftermarket cams. So yes, there are better cams...but your stock one isn't the end of the world. The biggest hurdle is the heads and intake, imho. If you're still sporting the stock intake and E7 heads, you're choking it. No factory iron heads make impressive flow numbers, but the GT40 heads from the later 5.0 can be a noticeable improvement (...even more so, if you have them ported...but by the time you spend the money, you could just about have a set of aluminum aftermarket heads that will still outflow them.) Rob some off a mid-90's Explorer and upgrade the springs to handle your cam (even the stock mustang cam is too much for the stock gt40 springs). While you're at it, grab the upper and lower intake off the same explorer. You can swap that over and improve the air flow. The way I see it, before going through all that trouble, I'd just find a used gt40 motor in good shape...especially if your current motor isn't too healthy.

Aftermarket heads and intakes can yield a LOT more power than the stock or gt40 motors. They also cost quite a bit more. For instance, a good set of AFR 165 heads can cost around $1500. TrickFlow upper/lower intake is around $700. You won't see the full potential without a new cam...may as well throw in some new lifters, pushrods, gaskets, throttle body, injectors, headers, etc in on the deal. All this adds up to...well...a lot lol. And that's presuming your motor is healthy. If not, throw in a couple grand more for machine work. At some point, you'll have to decide if maybe it's more cost effective to go with a crate motor instead.

These are two extremes, but you can also look for bargains on some slightly less expensive performance parts or good used items. It still pretty much boils down to how fast do you want to go and how much money can you spend. In the end, a lot of folks just decide to do regular maintenance on their current motor and either save for something better or take your time and build something little by little. Let us know which route sounds about right, and we can do our best to help you get there.
Either way, we love seeing pics of your fox (hint lol) and we love talking cars on here!