• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

need help with a problem with my fox

foxinsd1

'89 Notch
need a few posabilities on what the problem might be with my fox..ok so it starts normal at idle..the problem is when the car is in motion,for example on first shift looses power and will run very poorly no power what so ever feels like it is going to shut off..it does this for a few seconds and will run back to normal,but will do it again..any ideas on what i should look at:oops:

foxinsd1

'89 Notch
i havent moved it since..cant even drive it no where because it wont pull..was hoping it was the spark plugs but not sure where to start

Would definetely do a full tune up on it. Code readers for OBD1 are like $30 dollars at AutoZone and easy to use. I bought one finally, after having to borrow one all the time.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D.

Would definetely do a full tune up on it. Code readers for OBD1 are like $30 dollars at AutoZone and easy to use. I bought one finally, after having to borrow one all the time.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D.
I definitely would do the full tune up using either OEM Motorcraft plugs or Autolites. Buy the premium or even MSD cap kit that has the brass contacts. Lastly a quality set of wires maybe some direct fit Taylor or legit MSD. Stay away from parts store wires, MSD "Street Fire" wires, and Ford Racing wires. Also pickup a can of spray cleaner specifically for mass air flow sensors and clean the maf thoroughly

foxinsd1

'89 Notch
ok so i just cleaned the mass air flow sensor, but did not fix the problem, the spark plugs are good, ok so the symptoms is that the idle drops and feels like the car is going to shut off but it doesnt, has no power and will go no over 5mph when i hit the gas,it will do this very constantly,i did a visual but cannot determine the problem,anyone have an idea or if my only option is a shop ,will they be able to tell me exactly what it may be

88lx elmo

CARNAGE 88 LX
I would still do with the tune up like others have mentioned. It could be something as easy as your fuel filter being clogged up really bad. tune up will be good for your car even if it does not fix the problem it will start better run better and keep it going longer. check your dizzy it may have gotten lose and have a timing problem....keep us posted good luck

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
that is real close to me... If I get time this weekend I'll try and contact you.. Send me a conversation with your info..

foxinsd1

'89 Notch
tnx for offering the help..i actually took the car to get it tested, they pulled a few codes.. codes: 20ECM ,21ECT and code for MAFMeter, i will replace the maf sensor and hope it fixxes the problem..im just wondering if any of those codes are the cause of the low idle