• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need a little help with minor issues

89lx5.0

alright I have my stang running now and seems good so far. First it seems to have a skip or miss going down the road not here and there but like a constant miss. Could this be just timing too far off or cam or something like that? It has an e303 cam. Also what is te timing supposed to be? Then it was grinding in second and fourth gear and now when I got home it almost don't wanna go into first gear. Could the cable just need adjusted? Thanks

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
i have a similar issue with mine but i havent got a chance to figure it out because i left on deployment and was switching between 24lb mafs. i got my timing set to 14 degrees. but i thought about bringing it to 10 degrees. mine also did the hard to shift but all i think i need to do is adjust the cable. but i am going to get mine tuned when i get home since i did a hand full of upgrades.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
As far as the constant miss goes you might want to check (if you still have) the rubber connector where all the plastic smog lines connect too. Mine came apart and I had a constant miss(shutter) but idled fine.
Stock timing is 10 degrees BTDC ,,, but you can advance the timing to 16-18 BTDC or what you'll hear from others is advance it until you hear it start to ping.
It's a very good possibility that your clutch cable needs adjusting.

87_notchfox

As far as the constant miss goes you might want to check (if you still have) the rubber connector where all the plastic smog lines connect too. Mine came apart and I had a constant miss(shutter) but idled fine.
Stock timing is 10 degrees BTDC ,,, but you can advance the timing to 16-18 BTDC or what you'll hear from others is advance it until you hear it start to ping.
It's a very good possibility that your clutch cable needs adjusting.
well most of my smog stuff is just there for decoration lol. i have to hook it up so i can smog it when i get back. but i didnt notice any leaks but i never checked but i did notice my car didnt feel like it had enough power. and i know my cable is out of adjustment

87_notchfox

my check engine light dont come on from wat i saw. my wife has been starting my car while i been gone and she says it sounds good lol...but shes not sure hahaha

Blown347

Staff member
A miss is almost always 1 of 2 things, fuel or spark. Spark is much more common so timing is the first place to start. A vacuum leak as mentioned above would cause what seems like a miss as well but usually a vacuum leak will be noticeable at idle as well.

Another note about foxbodies, MOST trouble codes do not throw the CEL. So it's always a good idea to run the codes when you have a problem whether the idiot light on the dash comes on or not. I can't remember off hand but there are only like 8-10 codes that trip the light, while there are over 100 possible trouble codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87_notchfox

A miss is almost always 1 of 2 things, fuel or spark. Spark is much more common so timing is the first place to start. A vacuum leak as mentioned above would cause what seems like a miss as well but usually a vacuum leak will be noticeable at idle as well.

Another note about foxbodies, MOST trouble codes do not throw the CEL. So it's always a good idea to run the codes when you have a problem whether the idiot light on the dash comes on or not. I can't remember off hand but there are only like 8-10 codes that trip the light, while there are over 100 possible trouble codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well i dont think its spark. it might be the timing. i just put in a new MSD pro-billet and new coil, new plugs gapped to .44, and slightly used MSD plug wires. but i will try to get the codes from it when i get home. also i am running 39.5 give or take for fuel pressure with the 24lb injectors. which i think might be dirty. but when i get home i will got threw it again checking for leaks and set the timing to 10 degrees n go from there

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
my check engine light dont come on from wat i saw. my wife has been starting my car while i been gone and she says it sounds good lol...but shes not sure hahaha

Codes may be present even if the Check Engine Light (CEL) isn't on as stated above.

Without wasting a bunch of time trying to find the problem just buy a cheap scan tool like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/anm-cp9015/overview/year/1989/make/ford/model/mustang

Or you can do a self test like either of these.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/dumping-the-computer-diagnostic-codes-on-86-95-mustangs.11/

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

87_notchfox

ill probably will get the tool from autozone then to check it...thanks for the links

MustangMike

alright I have my stang running now and seems good so far. First it seems to have a skip or miss going down the road not here and there but like a constant miss. Could this be just timing too far off or cam or something like that? It has an e303 cam. Also what is te timing supposed to be? Then it was grinding in second and fourth gear and now when I got home it almost don't wanna go into first gear. Could the cable just need adjusted? Thanks
Is there a hose going from the tranny to coil mine does had a split in the hose and felt like tranny was out found changed and now back to bat outta hell mode hope this helps