• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My Profile Sums It Up

first mustang

Hello out there in the Mustang fever world,
In honesty in my 59 years of age and memory isn't what it used to be, I may have started a new thread, maybe on another site? Not sure, as there are a ton of Mustang sites as there should be since they made so many. Certainly not new to cars as I've bought, fixed up and sold around a dozen, in the past 15 years AMC's to start with and now in the past 5 years, 6 Cutlasses. 2 79 Hurst Olds, 1980 442, 1986 442, etc etc. Anyhow, never been a Mustang guy BUT did say on my bucket list would be a 1979 Pace Car Edition. I remembered them as a kid and thought they were super cool with all those decals. Low and behold, around 7 months ago, maybe longer there was one on Marketplace no more than 8 miles away. ROUGH shape it is but is a complete car, with even the metal dealer badge on the edge of the hatch. I know the town as it's the next state over around 5 hours away from me. I didn't even know if the engine and trans were any good. It did spin over a second so I knew the engine wasn't locked. This car had been sitting and not driven SINCE 1988. Well I say it's complete car as it was all there EXCEPT the wiring in the engine bay was zero. It's a 302 Automatic car which I know is the most scarce from what I researched. Original paint car, decals faded, only rust is in back floor boards, and a couple of spots on the fenders where the body molding curled and kept water. Interior complete but a everything needs to be refurbished or replaced. I'm certainly a new bee when it comes to Mustangs. My mechanic rewired the entire car, rebuilt carb, fuel pump, new gas tank and sending unit, etc. etc. etc. and luckily the engine and trans are good. Being such a train wreck and not driven for that long, I'd have never have bought it if it wasn't for being a Pace Car Edition,, Thanks goodness I got it dirt cheap as I'll have a bunch into it. Only mechanical left is water pump, rear end rebuilt, heater and vents operational and rear shocks. Then body and interior is the easiest part. Well I just wanted to drop a line out as I'll get to this car eventually as I'm finishing up a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic T-Top car.

broncojunkie

Congratulations! These are definitely getting tough to find. I have a build thread for mine... and I think I actually started a 2nd build thread, as I'm currently restoring another one.

I can probably help you with any questions you have on these early foxes. I've owned several over the years and currently have 5 in various states of "already spent too much" lol!

Are you sure the rear end needs rebuilt? If it does, I would suggest looking for a good used 8.8 rear end out of an 86-93 v8 mustang. They look and fit almost identical and even use the same axles (although they also make aftermarket forged and even larger axels for high hp applications). You can find them pretty cheap and often already upgraded with a lower gear. If you go this route, you'll want rear shocks for the later cars because the mounts are different. You'll have a better selection of rear shocks, too.