1. Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dismiss Notice

My 89 lx build

Discussion in 'Members Build-Up Projects' started by MerleHaggard, May 4, 2018.

1. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

Hello All,
    New here, and relatively new to foxbody mustangs although they e been my favorite car since I was a kid.Ive had an sn95 so it's not a whole lot of difference from what I've seen so far...Anyways I got this car about a month ago.The interior was completely robbed except for the back seat, The plastics are pretty rough do to the previous owner( family friend).I intend to do a old school "junkyard hotrod" build, and get it back to a nice weekend street car with nitrous.Already has smog delete, underdrive pulleys,flowmaster mufflers,sub frame connectors and supposedly has summit brand steel heads.Idk how to confirm that though.I have replaced the clutch quadrant with the steeda quadrant and cable kit, fuel tank, fuel pump,Filter, Distributor cap and rotor, added a msd blaster coil and wired up a crane cams hi6s ignition box I had laying around.I got a deal on two front seats that almost match my rear and a carpet, Used an old ar15 a2 pistol grip, i made a plug for the top, epoxied a nut in it and made it into my shift knob. The fenders we're beat so I replaced both fenders and the bumper cover, and added a fiberglass cowl hood. I have the rear end out of the car and have replaced both axles with 5 lug ranger axles, Got a 94 v6 I plane on robbing the front spindles,hubs,rotors,disc brakes,and rear rotors and disc brakes off of as well as the brake booster and master cylinder. IIhave "wild rides" upper and lower battle box torque box reinforcement kit on the way. A far as suspension goes I plan on running strange 10way adjustable rear shocks,factory v8 springs, Tubular lca,boxed uppers,.The front I'm going with the matching strange struts, 4cyl springs and losing the sway bar. I welcome all advise and recommendations.This will be a slow build (3 kids) lol. Thanks for looking,

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

3. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

4. broncojunkie

broncojunkie Active Member

Looking great so far! That was a good idea with the ar shifter handle! I've got a collection of those, myself. Might have to try it!

Anyway, welcome to the site. Where are you from?

5. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

Thanks, yea I needed a shift knob and had it laying around lol..But I'm from Virginia

6. broncojunkie

broncojunkie Active Member

I have family in Bristol VA and TN. What part? I'm actually just a couple hrs from the state line, here in WV.

MerleHaggard likes this.
  7. Redtwilight

Redtwilight Shinigami

Great start to the project! That will make a great street ride!

It's not too far off from what I've been doing with mine. At least that's how it started. LOL

MerleHaggard likes this.
  8. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

I live in Middlesex, I'm about 45 mins east of Richmond

broncojunkie likes this.
  9. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

Yea so far the plan is a mild build, but we know how these projects escalate lol.

broncojunkie likes this.
  10. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

Started boxing in my upper control arms, Got one done and ran out of wire.Also installed the upper and lower torque box reinforcement plates.Once I get more wire I'll have the other uca boxed in and the plates also stitch welded in.I got the rear cleaned up and painted, and installed the poly axle housing bushings.I know it's a 50/50 love/hate opinions on them so I'ma give them a shot and see.If they do bad I'll swap them out with spherical PicsArt_05-09-08.58.33.jpg PicsArt_05-09-08.59.08.jpg PicsArt_05-09-08.57.32.jpg PicsArt_05-09-08.59.46.jpg

11. MerleHaggard

MerleHaggard New Member

PicsArt_05-21-07.17.06.jpg PicsArt_05-21-07.18.07.jpg PicsArt_05-21-07.18.49.jpg PicsArt_05-21-07.20.07.jpg PicsArt_05-21-07.20.44.jpg Update on the sn95 brake conversion..Had to cut and shorten the anti moan brackets, notch and flip the caliper brackets..Got everything back together though and started re installing the rear

broncojunkie and Redtwilight like this.