• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 1990 GT Restoration Project

John2002

Seems what ever I do on this car someone has been there before...the 2 chrome screws over the top near the opening where the convertible goes down were rusty and I think some of the ones that go in the carpeted part screwed into nothing...The two that are behind either side of the back cushion were the only ones that seemed to be holding the panel on....hopefully I'l get a good 4 hours on it tomorrow...35 and sunny means I'll be sweating!!!! LOL... 50 degrees by Tuesday is what they are saying... I called the body shop and he said he would help me carry the hood to his shop, it only 100 yards south of me but I don't want to drive it through any salt laden puddles the next few days....

90REDGT

I sold the T5 today and also sold the bell housing, yoke, pressure plate, and clutch plate. So far I bought my old car back for $2500 and sold $1320 in parts that I won't be using when restored. I still have some other parts from the car to sell, the more cash back the better. Other than selling the trans, I spent the day working on one of my old pickups, nice to have temps warm enough to work on the vehicles.

John2002

Sounds like win-win for you....I got mine back together and on the ground. I had a few screws left over and I was going to take a picture of them to see if anyone can tell me what I took the off of...I also failed to order that rubber gasket that wraps around the e-brake handle the top console piece to hides the wire and rust...I was out there 5 hours yesterday and about 4 today...did get all the tools put away and torn down all the cardboard boxes that I had folded up and waiting to get tossed out, even ran the snow blower out of gas....

John2002

Do you ever feel like your getting the run around when you take your car (Mustang) anywhere for service??? I called the body shop on Friday and said I would have the car ready by this week to bring in to get the dent looked at. I was looking for sometime in about 3 weeks and just wanted to know if dropping off the hood would be better and just bring the car back and install it when the hood was repaired. Well , he said bring it over and let me take a look, he said he had a big repair drop out and he would be able to get it in sooner then 3 weeks. I took it there and as soon as he saw the dent said this would be best handled by a dent removal guy he knows, then he could repair the paint at a much cheaper cost. He gave me the guys number and of coarse when I called it went to voice mail and I still haven't heard back from the dent guy...at least I got the car out this morning for a quick ride around the block at 44 degrees....

90REDGT

When it comes to cars it seems like I always get the run around from folks. For the Trans Am I am having restored I decided to bite the bullet and go with an award winning place, pay a premium price but you get premium service. For the Mustang, I'll use the same place for metal work and paint then I'll do the rest.

John2002

The dent guy was supposed to be here at 2...its 5:15 now and I just got off the phone with him....got held up but I'll be there by 6....washed my day driver today.........man was it dirty...............

90REDGT

Been about 6 months since I have had time to work on the Mustang. I finally had some time over the past few weeks and finished stripping the car down to a roller. I'm certain the car will require some frame straightening based on measurements I took in the engine compartment and under the car. The radiator core support is bent up and to the front making me think the previous owner either jacked the car up there or it was pulled possibly by a tow truck or something. The upper frame rail along the passenger side strut tower inner apron has a bulge which I believe indicates a collision occurred at some point. I'm planning on getting the frame straightened, new radiator support, new floor pan, subframe connectors, and torque box reinforcements before working on bodywork and paint.
Radiator Core Support.jpg
Radiator Core Support-4.jpg
PS Front Frame Rail-Top-3.jpg
PS Front Frame Rail-Top-2.jpg