• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Light tap

coolen

Good day to all,

I finally picked up a t top gt last year, and since I had an LTD engine on a stand, that's what it got because it was a shell.

Recently I've noticed a tap on the passenger side and I'm thinkng it's time for some lifters and rods. Thing is, I have no clue what to order, so I'm seeking advice.

The engine was from a 1985 LTD Interceptor. HO, and roller ready block.

Thanks in advance.

broncojunkie

When you say "roller ready", does that mean it has a flat tappet cam (but block is set up with the threaded holes for the roller lifters/spider/dogbone setup?)

What oil are you running? Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak at the header? Have you removed the valve cover and checked things out yet? It could be a simple as a lifter needing replaced...or as bad as a cam lobe getting wiped (flat tappet cams need an oil additive or special oil if you don't want to risk damage with today's oil). I would check it out and go from there. You may have to rotate the engine by hand in 1/4 turn increments while checking rocker arms for tension. A collapsed lifter, bent rod, damaged rocker, etc should be pretty noticeable.